* .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 16:13 Buday Gergely
From: Buday Gergely @ 2005-03-22 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

I'm using openembedded to create a powerpc executable on my x86 linux box.
oe complains about

| checking for .machine support... no
| configure: error:
| *** A binutils version which can handle
| ***    .machine "altivec"
| *** is needed.

openembedded tried to use binutils-cross-2.15.94.0.1. What version should
I use instead?

- Gergely

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 17:28 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-03-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buday Gergely; +Cc: binutils

Hi Buday,

> I'm using openembedded to create a powerpc executable on my x86 linux
> box. oe complains about

What was the configure command line that you used ?

> | checking for .machine support... no
> | configure: error:
> | *** A binutils version which can handle
> | ***    .machine "altivec"
> | *** is needed.

I could not find this error messages in the sources anywhere.  Are you
using a customised version of the configure scripts by any chance ?

> openembedded tried to use binutils-cross-2.15.94.0.1. What version
> should I use instead?

The 2.15.94 sources should support the .machine "altivec" directive.
Have a look at the function parse_cpu() in gas/config/tc-pcc.c for
confirmation of this.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 17:29   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-03-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: Buday Gergely, binutils

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 05:10:17PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Buday,
>
> >I'm using openembedded to create a powerpc executable on my x86 linux
> >box. oe complains about
>
> What was the configure command line that you used ?
>
> >| checking for .machine support... no
> >| configure: error:
> >| *** A binutils version which can handle
> >| ***    .machine "altivec"
> >| *** is needed.
>
> I could not find this error messages in the sources anywhere.  Are you
> using a customised version of the configure scripts by any chance ?

This particular error message comes from the glibc configure script.
Maybe it's using the wrong assembler.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 19:30     ` Buday Gergely
From: Buday Gergely @ 2005-03-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: Nick Clifton, binutils

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> This particular error message comes from the glibc configure script.
> Maybe it's using the wrong assembler.

I've made an ugly hack to disprove this: I've moved /usr/bin/as to
/usr/bin/as.old. bitbake said the same error message.

- Gergely

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 20:22   ` Buday Gergely
From: Buday Gergely @ 2005-03-22 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

Nick Clifton wrote:

>> I'm using openembedded to create a powerpc executable on my x86 linux box.
>> oe complains about
>
> What was the configure command line that you used ?

/opt/openembedded/powerpc-tmp/work/glibc-initial-2.3.2+cvs20040726-r15/libc/configure
--host=powerpc-linux --build=i686-linux --without-cvs --disable-sanity-checks
--with-headers=/opt/openembedded/powerpc-tmp/cross/powerpc-linux/include
  --enable-hacker-mode

Though it was bitbake and not me.

>> | checking for .machine support... no
>> | configure: error:
>> | *** A binutils version which can handle
>> | ***    .machine "altivec"
>> | *** is needed.
>
> I could not find this error messages in the sources anywhere.  Are you using
> a customised version of the configure scripts by any chance ?

Well, openembedded people might changed them.

> The 2.15.94 sources should support the .machine "altivec" directive. Have a
> look at the function parse_cpu() in gas/config/tc-pcc.c for confirmation of
> this.

tc-ppc.c I suppose you meant. It supports, as far as I can judge:

=========
   else if (strcmp (arg, "altivec") == 0)
     {
       if (ppc_cpu == 0)
         ppc_cpu = PPC_OPCODE_PPC | PPC_OPCODE_CLASSIC |
PPC_OPCODE_ALTIVEC;
       else
         ppc_cpu |= PPC_OPCODE_ALTIVEC;
     }

====

How ./configure checks whether it supports?

Regards

- Gergely

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 20:33     ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-03-22 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buday Gergely; +Cc: binutils

Hi Buday,

> /opt/openembedded/powerpc-tmp/work/glibc-initial-2.3.2+cvs20040726-r15/libc/configure

> How ./configure checks whether it supports?

Hmm, well I am not familiar with glibc's configure mechanism.  But
usually there is a config.log file that gives more details about what is
going on.  Or possibly you could add a "--verbose" switch to the
configure command line to obtain more information ?  You could also ask
on the glibc mailing list.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 22:39     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2005-03-22 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: Nick Clifton, Buday Gergely, binutils

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 05:10:17PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
>

>>Hi Buday,
>>

>>>I'm using openembedded to create a powerpc executable on my x86 linux
>>>box. oe complains about
>>>

>>What was the configure command line that you used ?

>>I could not find this error messages in the sources anywhere.  Are you
>>using a customised version of the configure scripts by any chance ?
>>

>This particular error message comes from the glibc configure script.
>Maybe it's using the wrong assembler.

I think so too. It is trying to use the assembler on host which is x86
asm thats why the error.

* Re: .machine "altivec"
@ 2005-03-22 22:44     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2005-03-22 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)