* Need Of binUtils ?
@ 2005-05-06 10:14 John Smith
From: John Smith @ 2005-05-06 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,
   Suddenly i have a doubt. why do we need binutils in the first place.

   Linux comes with a set of utilities like compiler, linker, ar, asm.

   Why do we need binutils ?.

  Can't we use it to develop cross-development utilities using the sources ?

  regards,
  John.

* Re: Need Of binUtils ?
@ 2005-05-06 10:21 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-05-06 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Smith; +Cc: binutils

Hi John,

>    Suddenly i have a doubt. why do we need binutils in the first place.
>    Linux comes with a set of utilities like compiler, linker, ar, asm.
>    Why do we need binutils ?.

Because it is the binutils project which has provided the linker, ar,
asm etc.  (The gcc project has provided the compiler).

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Need Of binUtils ?
@ 2005-05-06 12:01   ` John Smith
       [not found]     ` <17021.15352.330872.191716@gargle.gargle.HOWL>
From: John Smith @ 2005-05-06 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Does that mean, if i have installed Linux on my system with C development set,
binutils comes along with it.

As a stupid user, i dont know from which project linker has come and
gcc has come. What i meant was if i installed C Language (C
Development set) during Linux Installation i dont need to install
binutils seperately.

Regards,
John

On 5/6/05, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> >    Suddenly i have a doubt. why do we need binutils in the first place.
> >    Linux comes with a set of utilities like compiler, linker, ar, asm.
> >    Why do we need binutils ?.
>
> Because it is the binutils project which has provided the linker, ar,
> asm etc.  (The gcc project has provided the compiler).
>
> Cheers
>   Nick

* Re: Need Of binUtils ?
@ 2005-05-06 13:53     ` Anthony Green
       [not found]     ` <17021.15352.330872.191716@gargle.gargle.HOWL>
From: Anthony Green @ 2005-05-06 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Smith; +Cc: binutils

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 16:30 +0530, John Smith wrote:
> Does that mean, if i have installed Linux on my system with C development set,
> binutils comes along with it.

Yes.

> As a stupid user, i dont know from which project linker has come and
> gcc has come. What i meant was if i installed C Language (C
> Development set) during Linux Installation i dont need to install
> binutils seperately.

That's true, as long as you are building programs to run on that same
system.  However, your earlier mail mentioned cross-development tools.
If you're doing cross development, then you will almost certainly need a
separate binutils installation configured and built for your target.

AG

* Re: Need Of binUtils ?
       [not found]     ` <17021.15352.330872.191716@gargle.gargle.HOWL>
@ 2005-05-08 19:50       ` John Smith
From: John Smith @ 2005-05-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Ok.

I think i got confused.

First, I have installed Linux with Gcc - so, i have a set of utils
like gcc, ar (which are called bin utils). These utils work on the
host system and on binaries that contain code which runs on host
processor.

Lets Call this as Host-BinUtils-Host

That is They run on Host System and produce Host Processor Code.

fine.

Now i want some cross development tools.

So, I download GCC - compiler source, ar source, linker source.

Now i compile these programs using my binutils Host-BinUtils-Host

Now i get another set of binUtils say BinUtils (call they Host-BinUtils-Target).

These Utils (run on the Host-BinUtils-Target) host but produce code
(executable) which run on the Target.

Am i right.

I just wanted to be sure with my understanding.

Regards,
John

* Re: Need Of binUtils ?
@ 2005-05-09  3:26         ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2005-05-09  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Smith; +Cc: binutils

> Now i want some cross development tools.
>
> So, I download GCC - compiler source, ar source, linker source.
>
> Now i compile these programs using my binutils Host-BinUtils-Host

You compile them using your compiler, which calls your native binutils
(Host-BinUtils-Host).

> Now i get another set of binUtils say BinUtils (call they Host-BinUtils-Target).
>
> These Utils (run on the Host-BinUtils-Target) host but produce code
> (executable) which run on the Target.
>
> Am i right.

Mostly.

Try this: