OK Just do nothing. It is the best solution. The assembler doesn’t assemble instructions recognized by the machine it is running on? The user should use the undocumented march=xxx option. And if he doesn’t read the inexistent documentation, that’s his/her fault. Thank you very much for your attention Jacob > Le 28 août 2023 à 08:17, Jan Beulich a écrit : > > On 25.08.2023 21:44, jacob navia wrote: >> I am just invoking the assembler with its default settings: >> >> ~/star64 $ as -o test.o test.s >> >> The assembler is testing the default architecture here: >> Function: riscv_ip >> >> for (; insn && insn->name && strcmp(insn->name,str) == 0; insn++) { >> #if 0 >> if ((insn->xlen_requirement != 0) && (xlen != insn->xlen_requirement)) >> continue; >> >> if (!riscv_multi_subset_supports(&riscv_rps_as,insn->insn_class)) { >> error.missing_ext = riscv_multi_subset_supports_ext(&riscv_rps_as, >> insn->insn_class); >> continue; >> } >> #endif >> >> The #if 0/#endif were added by me. I think those tests do not belong here. The assembler should assemble and not test if the instruction is legal. If the instruction is illegal the program will crash at run-time, something not that unusual if you are programming in assembler! > > Having a program crash at runtime when this can be avoided at build time is > deemed undesirable by many people, including me. I did point out before that > there are two approaches for assemblers - default-enabling everything and > default-disabling everything except the base architecture insns. To a large > part this is a decision to be taken by the people writing an assembler. But > there are technical constraints as well: As soon as you have two conflicting > extensions (which RISC-V was always allowing for, and which it now actively > has), the former model won't work very well anymore. > > Of course you're free to propose a patch allowing the alternative model (via > command line option and/or directive). Obviously whether that'll be approved > is unknown up front. > >> And if you are assembling compiler output, it is up to the compiler to furnish the correct instructions. > > Yes. Plus, with an assembler following the former model, the necessary > directives. (As an aside, compilers aren't bug-free, and hence the assembler > still applying some sanity checks makes some sense.) > >> Tiny-asm doesn’t test any instruction compliance and that is why it works out of the box! > > As said, which model to use is up to the writers of any particular assembler. > > Jan