* Adding a new object format to BFD
@ 2006-04-10  4:01 mohamed aslan
From: mohamed aslan @ 2006-04-10  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello
I'ld like to know the steps i should follow in order
to add a new object format to libbfd.
where the object format is not aout/elf/coff, its new
simple object format, used in the OS i'm writing as an
relocatable object format for the modules.
So can anyone please make it easier for me and tell me
how can i achieve this?
Thanks alot

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Adding a new object format to BFD
@ 2006-04-10 14:55 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2006-04-10 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mohamed aslan; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mohamed Aslan,

> I'ld like to know the steps i should follow in order
> to add a new object format to libbfd.

Essentially what you need to do is to duplicate the file-format specific
code in the include, gas and bfd directories.  The easiest way to do
this is to take an already supported file format as an example and copy
what is done for it.

> where the object format is not aout/elf/coff, its new
> simple object format, used in the OS i'm writing as an
> relocatable object format for the modules.

So for example if you look at the support for the a.out file format you
will find at least these files and directories:

   include/aout
   gas/config/obj-aout.[ch]
   bfd/aout*

Try using these as a starting point for your new file format.

You will also need to modify the various configure and Makefile files in
the binutils directories in order to ensure that your new files are
included when you build binutils.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Adding a new object format to BFD
@ 2006-04-16 11:49   ` mohamed aslan
From: mohamed aslan @ 2006-04-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton, binutils

Hi again.
Here is my 1st draft:
http://libosdk.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Binutils
Thanks

@ 2006-04-25 19:04     ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2006-04-25 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mohamed aslan; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mohamed Aslan,

> Hi again.
> Here is my 1st draft:
> http://libosdk.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Binutils

Thanks very much for creating this document and posting the link.

Cheers
   Nick