* What is `bfdname` referred by objcopy manpage?
@ 2007-09-03  9:56 PRC
From: PRC @ 2007-09-03  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi All,

The manpage of objcopy says:

-O bfdname
--output-target=bfdname
	Write the output file using the object format bfdname.

I have no idea what is bfdname.
Even if I often use `mips-elf-objcopy -O binary a.exe a.bin`, I don't know what is the exact meaning of
-O binary and how many other objects with other bfdnames.

Best regards!

--------------
PanRuochen
2007/09/03

* RE: What is `bfdname` referred by objcopy manpage?
@ 2007-09-03 10:22 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-09-03 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'PRC', 'binutils'

On 03 September 2007 10:55, PRC wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The manpage of objcopy says:
>
> -O bfdname
> --output-target=bfdname
> 	Write the output file using the object format bfdname.
>
> I have no idea what is bfdname.
> Even if I often use `mips-elf-objcopy -O binary a.exe a.bin`, I don't know
> what is the exact meaning of -O binary and how many other objects with
> other bfdnames.

  Take a look at the last few lines of output from "objcopy --help"!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: What is `bfdname` referred by objcopy manpage?
@ 2007-09-03 10:25   ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-09-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'PRC', 'binutils'

Dave Korn wrote:

>   Take a look at the last few lines of output from "objcopy --help"!

Or the node titled "Target Selection" in the manual.

Brian

* Re: What is `bfdname` referred by objcopy manpage?
@ 2007-09-03 12:29   ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2007-09-03 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'PRC'; +Cc: Dave Korn, 'binutils'

Hi Guys,

>> The manpage of objcopy says:
>>
>> -O bfdname
>> --output-target=bfdname
>> 	Write the output file using the object format bfdname.
>>
>> I have no idea what is bfdname.

It would probably be clearer if we used "<target>" here, or maybe "<supported
target type>".  That way the connection with the last few lines of the --help
output would be more obvious.

>> Even if I often use `mips-elf-objcopy -O binary a.exe a.bin`, I don't know
>> what is the exact meaning of -O binary

In this context "binary" is an unfortunate choice of name since it refers to a
file format called "binary" which is designed to be very simple and space
efficient, so that it is often used in embedded devices.  It does not
necessarily mean that the contents of the data in such files can only be
executables; it is also possible for them to contain data and text.

So the "-O binary" command line switch does not mean "convert the input file
into the binary numbering system".  The input is already in the binary
numbering system (as is everything in computers).  It means "convert the input
file from its current file format into the file format called 'binary'".

Cheers
   Nick