* windres testsuite failures on i686-pc-cygwin
@ 2009-06-18 10:10 Rainer Emrich
From: Rainer Emrich @ 2009-06-18 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

* Re: windres testsuite failures on i686-pc-cygwin
@ 2009-06-22 17:55 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2009-06-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Emrich; +Cc: binutils

Hi Rainer,

> For me all windres tests fail:
> gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
> /home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.5.0/binutils/binutils/.libs/windres:
> preprocessing failed.

The windres program needs a C pre-processor in order to handle macros
inside an rc file.  By default it will try to execute "gcc -E -xc
-DRC_INVOKED" as the pre-processor command.  If this will not work on
your system then you are going to need to add a --preprocessor=<...>
command line switch to the invocations of windres.  Since this is being
invoked from inside the testsuite you will have to modify the
binutils/testsuite/binutils-all/windres/windres.exp file directly in
order to do this.

Ideally there ought to be an info variable defined in the board
description file loaded by the testsuite which specifies any extra
parameters that should be passed to windres.  If you want to submit a
patch that does this then I will be happy to review it ... :-)

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: windres testsuite failures on i686-pc-cygwin
@ 2009-06-23 14:07   ` Rainer Emrich
From: Rainer Emrich @ 2009-06-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

Hi Nick,

Nick Clifton schrieb:
> Hi Rainer,
>
>> For me all windres tests fail:
>> gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
>> /home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.5.0/binutils/binutils/.libs/windres:
>>
>> preprocessing failed.
>
> The windres program needs a C pre-processor in order to handle macros
> inside an rc file.  By default it will try to execute "gcc -E -xc
> -DRC_INVOKED" as the pre-processor command.  If this will not work on
> your system then you are going to need to add a --preprocessor=<...>
> command line switch to the invocations of windres.  Since this is being
> invoked from inside the testsuite you will have to modify the
> binutils/testsuite/binutils-all/windres/windres.exp file directly in
> order to do this.
The described problem is only seen if I compile binutils with gcc-4.4.x or
gcc-trunk and one of this two is in the PATH.

If I call the windres wrapper executable in the bintuils directory I get
$ ./windres -v
Tried
`/home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.4.1/binutils/binutils/./.libs/gcc.exe'
Using `gcc -E -xc -DRC_INVOKED  -'
Using popen to read preprocessor output
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
/home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.4.1/binutils/binutils/./.libs/windres:
preprocessing failed.

If I call windres executable in the binutils/.libs directory instaed I get
$ .libs/windres.exe -v
Tried `.libs/gcc.exe'
Using `gcc -E -xc -DRC_INVOKED  -'
Using popen to read preprocessor output

So that seems to be ok.

> Ideally there ought to be an info variable defined in the board
> description file loaded by the testsuite which specifies any extra
> parameters that should be passed to windres.  If you want to submit a
> patch that does this then I will be happy to review it ... :-)
My conclusion is that there's a more weired problem which only appears with
gcc-4.4x or gcc-trunk and I don't have an idea how to approach this.

> Cheers
>   Nick
Cheers

Rainer