On 10/21/2010 11:50 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote: > You'll have to do it earlier. Can you do it when the directive was > seen? Or, will that lead to multiple definition errors if the symbol > is defined later in the file? If so you'll have to frob before the > symbol table is frozen: obj_adjust_symtab. Thanks for the hints! Creating it at the point the directive is seen does indeed lead to multiple-definition errors. The attached patch, however, seems to work. I need to write test cases, ChangeLog, and run the testsuite -- but I thought it would be worth posting here to get comments since I'm a GAS novice. Does this look sensible? Are the arguments to symbol_new for segment and fragment plausible? Thank you, -- Mark Mitchell CodeSourcery mark@codesourcery.com (650) 331-3385 x713