* simple program
@ 2011-07-14  3:57 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-07-14  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

    I am just looking at the library and since everyone seems to start out
with their first progam being "hello world" is there a way to do that with
BFD? Maybe calling bfd_init(void) and then simply using bfd_perror to print
a string? Or would there be a better way?

    I hope this is the appropriate list for this. There doesn't seem to be
any otherlists except for CVS questions and bug reports.

Bill

* Re: simple program
@ 2011-07-14 11:18 ` Will Newton
From: Will Newton @ 2011-07-14 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: binutils

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Bill Cunningham <billcun@suddenlink.net> wrote:
>   I am just looking at the library and since everyone seems to start out
> with their first progam being "hello world" is there a way to do that with
> BFD? Maybe calling bfd_init(void) and then simply using bfd_perror to print
> a string? Or would there be a better way?

It depends what you want to do - bfd_perror isn't necessarily that
representative of the BFD API as a whole. It might be useful to start
with one of the smaller binutils programs and learn from that. size.c
seems like it might be a good candidate.

* Re: simple program
@ 2011-07-15 10:55 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2011-07-15 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: binutils

Hi Bill,

> I am just looking at the library and since everyone seems to start out
> with their first program being "hello world" is there a way to do that
> with BFD?

Hello world is really more appropriate as a first test for programming
languages.  BFD is a library intended for the manipulation of binary
files, not general purpose programming.

A more reasonable first test might be to write a program that tells you
the type any files provided on its command line.  (Like the "file" program).

> I hope this is the appropriate list for this. There doesn't seem to be
> any other lists except for CVS questions and bug reports.

This is the correct list.

Cheers
   Nick