* Re: Differing archives on http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/ and ftp://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/releases/
       [not found] <525B111C.4090000@gmx.de>
@ 2013-10-17 13:54 ` nick clifton
       [not found]   ` <525FF06A.3090002@gmx.de>
From: nick clifton @ 2013-10-17 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Held, bug-binutils, binutils

Hi Bernhard,

> the archives http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/binutils-2.18.tar.bz2
> and ftp://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/releases/binutils-2.18.tar.bz2
> are different.
>
> Is this expected?

No. :-(

I would consider the ftp.gnu.org version to be more correct, since it
contains files that cannot be found or generated using the
sourceware.org version, whereas the reverse does not apply.

Fortunately 2.18 is an old release, so I doubt if this discrepancy is
very important now.

Cheers
   Nick

@ 2013-10-25 11:14     ` nick clifton
From: nick clifton @ 2013-10-25 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Held, bug-binutils, binutils

Hi Bernhard,

> Projects like Freetz http://freetz.org/ or OpenWrt http://openwrt.org
> build customized firmware for DSL modems or router. The build systems
> require old versions of binutils suitable for old kernel or uClibc
> versions. An update is not possible due to closed source kernel modules
> and binaries, which must be copied from the original firmware.
>
> The build systems download binutils 2.18, check the MD5 hash and fail.
> This is a today's issue.

Can the build systems download from the ftp.gnu.org site instead of the
sourceware site ?

Cheers
   Nick