* 2.40 branch now open for updates
@ 2023-01-14 15:35 Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2023-01-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi Guys,

  The 2.40 release is out and the 2.40 branch is now open for commits
  without needing any special approval from me.

Cheers
  Nick

* Re: 2.40 branch now open for updates
@ 2023-01-16 19:11 ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2023-01-16 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

It looks like version numbers aren't consistently set on the branch at
present; building from it I get errors of the form:

In file included from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/gprof.h:41,
                 from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/basic_blocks.c:24:
./gconfig.h:104: error: "VERSION" redefined [-Werror]
  104 | #define VERSION "2.40.00"

In file included from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/../bfd/sysdep.h:29,
                 from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/gprof.h:33,
                 from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/basic_blocks.c:24:
../bfd/config.h:327: note: this is the location of the previous definition
  327 | #define VERSION "2.40"

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: 2.40 branch now open for updates
@ 2023-01-17 12:04   ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2023-01-17 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers; +Cc: binutils

Hi Joseph,

> It looks like version numbers aren't consistently set on the branch at
> present; building from it I get errors of the form:
>
> In file included from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/gprof.h:41,
>                   from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/basic_blocks.c:24:
> ./gconfig.h:104: error: "VERSION" redefined [-Werror]
>    104 | #define VERSION "2.40.00"
> In file included from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/../bfd/sysdep.h:29,
>                   from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/gprof.h:33,
>                   from /scratch/jmyers/glibc/many12/src/binutils/gprof/basic_blocks.c:24:
> ../bfd/config.h:327: note: this is the location of the previous definition
>    327 | #define VERSION "2.40"

*sigh* Yes you are right.  I had a snafu when I was creating the release
tarballs and accidentally set the version number to 2.40.00 instead of 2.40.
I thought that I had fixed all of the files before making the release, but
obviously I missed a few.  This should now be fixed.

@ 2023-01-24 20:47 ` Vladimir Mezentsev
From: Vladimir Mezentsev @ 2023-01-24 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton, binutils

On 1/14/23 07:35, Nick Clifton via Binutils wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>    The 2.40 release is out and the 2.40 branch is now open for commits
>    without needing any special approval from me.
>
> Cheers
>    Nick

Hi Nick,
I just committed my fixes for gprofng/29521 [docs] man pages are not in
the release tarball
to the master branch.
Do you plan to create the 2.40.1 release ?
If yes, I would like to make my fixes to the 2.40 branch too.

Thank you,
-Vladimir

* Re: 2.40 branch now open for updates
@ 2023-01-25 11:26   ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2023-01-25 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Mezentsev, binutils

Hi Vladimir,

> I just committed my fixes for gprofng/29521 [docs] man pages are not in the release tarball
> to the master branch.
> Do you plan to create the 2.40.1 release ?

Not at the moment.  Normally I would only make a point release to fix a bug
which seriously breaks the assembler or linker...

Plus - the gprofng documentation is available via the web site, although not
the man page itself, just the pdf and html versions.

> If yes, I would like to make my fixes to the 2.40 branch too.

Please do apply them anyway.  That way if there is a point release
it will contain the missing manual pages.

Cheers
   Nick

PS.  It appears that in order to create the gprofng man page I have
to go into the gprofng/doc directory of my build tree and run "make".
Is this intentional ?  (Specifically, is it intentional that running
"make" in the gprofng directory does not build gprofng.1 nor does
running "make all-gprofng" at the top level).  Or have I missed
something ?   (Possibly I need to reconfigure my build tree ?)

If it is intentional then it may be necessary to update the src-release.sh
script (toplevel of the binutils source directory) so that it includes
the step to build the gprofng.1 file.  Otherwise when the next release
is made, the file will not be built and hence not included in the tarball.