The dpkg maintainer hasn't quite agreed with the reasoning in my bug report. I have attached an example that can be compiled using: clang dlsym.c -o dlsym -rdynamic -ldl -Wl,--version-script=dlsym.sym -fuse-ld=ld dlerror() returns an undefined symbol error for LIBTEST_1@@LIBTEST_1 if using LLD. While unlikely to ever cause any trouble, I think this can be considered an ABI breaking difference. I'm forced to agree with the maintainer that the current reasoning for ignoring them in dpkg-gensymbols is invalid. They also found some relevant code in binutils. I'm not too familiar with linker internals, so I don't comprehend, but this behaviour does seem to be used for something. Would you be willing/able to offer any further insights? May I also attach our email thread, once concluded, to the Debian bug report for reference?