* "cbin" utility for generating linkable objects
@ 2010-04-09 19:03 Ed H
From: Ed H @ 2010-04-09 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I've written a utility "cbin" which uses libbfd to convert arbitrary
files and directory trees into linkable objects as a sort of resource
compiler.

Is there any interest in adding this to the binutils suite? It's a capability
I've wished for in the past (cases where generating C initializers was
cumbersome or hit pathologically slow compiler performance).

I've released it GPLv3 on googlecode:

http://code.google.com/p/cbin/wiki/Introduction

  - Ed

* Re: "cbin" utility for generating linkable objects
@ 2010-04-12  8:25 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-04-12  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed H; +Cc: binutils

Ed H <eah1@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there any interest in adding this to the binutils suite?

How is it different from the .incbin directive in gas?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@redhat.com
GPG Key fingerprint = D4E8 DBE3 3813 BB5D FA84  5EC7 45C6 250E 6F00 984E

* Re: "cbin" utility for generating linkable objects
@ 2010-04-12 14:30   ` Ed H
From: Ed H @ 2010-04-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: binutils

cbin skips the extra assembly step, can include arbitrary directory
hierarchies as well as single files, and generates a list of the included
resources by name as well as automatically generating symbols and
prototypes for each included file. All of this could be done as a wrapper
around a generated .s file (especially now that I know about the .incbin
directive :-) but I still think it's nice to have another small example of
how to use libbfd, especially since gas seems to be the only place
that creates object files using libbfd (is that correct?)

  - Ed

> any interest in adding this to the binutils suite?

How is it different
> from the .incbin directive in gas?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab,

> href="mailto:schwab@redhat.com">schwab@redhat.com
GPG Key fingerprint =
> D4E8 DBE3 3813 BB5D FA84  5EC7 45C6 250E 6F00 984E
"And now for