Hi Guys, With the 2.36 release of the binutils we stopped generating section symbols if they were not needed by relocations. This helps to reduce object file size and enhances compatibility with the LLVM compiler. But I have received some bug reports about this feature, most notably from kernel maintainers who have found that the new behaviour breaks the recordmcount tool. So I am proposing the attached patch as a solution. The patch adds an option to the assembler: --keep-unused-section-symbols=[yes|no] which is pretty much self describing. The patch itself is fairly simple, although there is one area that might provoke comment: Since the xvec structure in a BFD is accessed via a const pointer, its contents cannot be changed. This makes sense most of the time, but poses a problem for this patch since it wants to change the keep_unused_section_symbols field. So I decided that the simplest way to resolve this would be to allocate a new xvec structure, fill it in, and then change the pointer in the bfd. This might be a bit wasteful of memory, but I am not expecting this feature to be used very often and I thought that it was better to preserve the const pointer semantics. Any comments ? Cheers Nick bfd/ChangeLog 2022-03-04 Nick Clifton * targets.c (bfd_set_keep_unused_section_symbols): New function. * bfd-in2.h: Rgenerate. gas/ChangeLog 2022-03-04 Nick Clifton * as.c (keep_unused_sec_syms): New local variable. (parse_args): Add --keep-unused-section-symbols=[yes|no]. (show_usage): Mention the new option. (main): Call bfd_set_keep_unused_section_symbols if requested. * doc/as.texi: Document the new option. * NEWS: Mention the new feature. * testsuite/gas/elf/unused-section-symbols.s: New source file. * testsuite/gas/elf/unused-section-symbols.d: New test. * testsuite/gas/elf/used-section-symbols.d: New test. * testsuite/gas/elf/elf.exp: Run the new tests.