* Incomplete .macro documentation?
@ 2003-07-15 12:51 Jan Zizka
       [not found] ` <m3brvtjje0.fsf@redhat.com>
From: Jan Zizka @ 2003-07-15 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

if I define macro as follows:

.macro TEST n
.equ REG\n_TEST,0
.equ REG\n_TEST,1
.endm

then 'TEST 1' will not produce what I've desired, because expansion can't that
simply handle arguments which are in the middle of statement. So after some
struggle I have found in the macro.c that it has to be done as follows:

.macro TEST n
.equ REG\n\(_)TEST,0
.equ REG\n\(_)TEST,1
.endm

This I take is a feature of macros, but I didn't find anything about this in
binutils manual (e.i. http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/as.info/Macro.html)
Or is it described anywhere? If not I think that it should be added :)) OK I
can add it if anybody will point me to correct place ;)

Jan

* Re: Incomplete .macro documentation?
@ 2003-07-16  6:26 ` Ben Elliston
       [not found] ` <m3brvtjje0.fsf@redhat.com>
From: Ben Elliston @ 2003-07-16  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Jan Zizka <ziza@klubicko.net> writes:

> This I take is a feature of macros, but I didn't find anything about
> this in binutils manual
> (e.i. http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/as.info/Macro.html)
> Or is it described anywhere? If not I think that it should be added
> :)) OK I can add it if anybody will point me to correct place ;)

If you'd like to try to enhance the documentation, take a look in
as.texinfo under the node `Macro'.

Ben

@ 2003-07-17 17:30   ` Jan Zizka
From: Jan Zizka @ 2003-07-17 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

Hi Nick,

> It is not clear exactly what you want this macro to expand to.  Are
> you expecting 'TEST 1' to produce:
>
>     .equ REG1_TEST,0
>     .equ REG1_TEST,1
>
> If so, then why have two .equ directives when the second one will
> override the first ?

that is what I wanted, but the second .equ was supposed to be different :)
(just a copy-pase error ")

> > This I take is a feature of macros, but I didn't find anything about
> > this in binutils manual.
>
> You are correct, this feature is not documented.  (And it should be).
>
> > If not I think that it should be added :)) OK I can add it if
> > anybody will point me to correct place ;)
>
> Please add it to gas/doc/as.texinfo in the node that describes the
> .macro command.

I'll add that and I'll also check macro.c for other undocumented
features :).

Jan