* libctf: can I reuse Bruno's code from appendix B of Uli's DSO howto?
@ 2020-04-14 15:44 Nick Alcock
From: Nick Alcock @ 2020-04-14 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruno; +Cc: GNU Binutils, Jose E. Marchesi

So I'm trying to get the deduplicating CTF linker in libctf ready for
release -- it's been a hard slog through a whole bunch of self-inflicted
design errors, but I'm almost there now, and the CTF section sizes are
looking good (e.g. all of objcopy, statically linked so including the
types for all the BFD machinery it uses, comes in at less than 70KiB of
.ctf, and I'm sure I can get it down further).

During early internal review, Jose Marchesi pointed out that some
long-preexisting Solaris-era code now found at
<https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob;f=libctf/ctf-error.c;hb=HEAD>
is needlessly introducing dozens of relocs. Bruno wrote a nice little
automated fix for this general problem: it's included in Uli's DSO howto
at <https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf>: rather than
re-engineering it, I thought I'd add a buncha comments and reuse the
code in libctf.

But it's probably long enough and surely tricksy enough to be
copyright-significant in the FSF's eyes, the DSO howto doesn't have any
sort of license stated, and its contents are most unlikely to be (C) FSF
in any case given Uli's stated opinions on the subject. That code
snippet is surely your work, so, Bruno: if anyone can give me permission
for reuse it in a GNU project, it would be you.

So, could you do so?

(Thanks!)

(If anyone else on the list has objections, please do say so.)