* as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-13  2:00 Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2004-07-13  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

This has been bugging me for a while.  I'm not sure what the correct
behaviour is.  My instinct is that the derived object, as.info, should
be built in the build directory and installed from there, but then I
don't know how this interacts with make dist, which should be
including as.info in the distribution.

Can anyone clarify?  I'm happy to try and fix it, as I prefer to keep
my source trees pristine!

Ben

* Re: as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-13  2:17 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-07-13  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bje; +Cc: binutils

IIRC GNU standards require the info files to be part of the source
distribution, so we have to build them in srcdir.  However, this does
cause the usual read-only-srcdir problems.  Normally, the info files
in cvs should be sufficiently up-to-date such that rebuilding is not
normally required.

This has been discussed in other projects, with no really good
solution.

* Re: as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-13  3:48   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2004-07-13  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: binutils

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:

> IIRC GNU standards require the info files to be part of the source
> distribution, so we have to build them in srcdir.  However, this
> does cause the usual read-only-srcdir problems.  Normally, the info
> files in cvs should be sufficiently up-to-date such that rebuilding
> is not normally required.

They don't need to be built into the srcdir in order for them to be
included in the source distribution.  The source tree and the
distribution are distinct.

The info files aren't in CVS at all.  We rely on maintainers to have
the tools.  I have no problem with that, but they shouldn't go into
the source tree.

> This has been discussed in other projects, with no really good
> solution.

Yes, it's all downhill from here :-)

@ 2004-07-13 12:49     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-07-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: DJ Delorie, binutils

> DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:
>

>>> IIRC GNU standards require the info files to be part of the source
>>> distribution, so we have to build them in srcdir.  However, this
>>> does cause the usual read-only-srcdir problems.  Normally, the info
>>> files in cvs should be sufficiently up-to-date such that rebuilding
>>> is not normally required.
>

> They don't need to be built into the srcdir in order for them to be
> included in the source distribution.  The source tree and the
> distribution are distinct.
>
> The info files aren't in CVS at all.  We rely on maintainers to have
> the tools.  I have no problem with that, but they shouldn't go into
> the source tree.
>

>>> This has been discussed in other projects, with no really good
>>> solution.
>

> Yes, it's all downhill from here :-)

GDB's release process involves a configure/make-info/make-clean in the
src directory.  This results in the files being included in the distro.

BTW, pot files have a similar problem.

Andrew

* RE: as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-13 13:58       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Cagney', 'Ben Elliston'
> Normally, the info
> rebuilding
> >

> > They don't need to be built into the srcdir in order for them to be
> > included in the source distribution.  The source tree and the
> > distribution are distinct.
> >
> > The info files aren't in CVS at all.  We rely on maintainers to have
> > the tools.  I have no problem with that, but they shouldn't go into
> > the source tree.

> > Yes, it's all downhill from here :-)
>
> GDB's release process involves a
> configure/make-info/make-clean in the
> src directory.  This results in the files being included in
> the distro.
>
> BTW, pot files have a similar problem.
>
> Andrew

  Why are the .info files considered any different from any of the
autogenerated files?  I've wondered why they aren't checked into cvs and
regenerated when their sources are touched in the same way as configure et
al. ?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-13 16:45     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-07-13 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bje; +Cc: binutils

> They don't need to be built into the srcdir in order for them to be
> included in the source distribution.  The source tree and the
> distribution are distinct.

I don't think the FSF cares how we get the files into a source
distribution, as long as they're there.  A consistent workable
solution would be nice ;-)

* Re: as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-13 22:42       ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2004-07-13 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: binutils

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:

> > They don't need to be built into the srcdir in order for them to be
> > included in the source distribution.  The source tree and the
> > distribution are distinct.
>
> I don't think the FSF cares how we get the files into a source
> distribution, as long as they're there.  A consistent workable
> solution would be nice ;-)

It seems like this is something that Automake should be helping us
with.  Here's an idea: have info files built in the source tree, but
included in a distribution.  This would mean that "dist" depends on
some degree of "all" (all-info?).  I don't know if that's a good idea
or not.

@ 2004-07-14 17:13         ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-07-14 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: 'Ben Elliston', 'DJ Delorie', binutils

(I thought ben would step in :-)

>>GDB's release process involves a
>>> configure/make-info/make-clean in the
>>> src directory.  This results in the files being included in
>>> the distro.
>>>
>>> BTW, pot files have a similar problem.
>>>
>>> Andrew
>

>   Why are the .info files considered any different from any of the
> autogenerated files?  I've wondered why they aren't checked into cvs and
> regenerated when their sources are touched in the same way as configure et
> al. ?

It's the autoconf/automake files that are the exception.   They are
generated and checked in to avoid local tool dependency problems (sh
et.al. can be really querky :-).

Andrew

* RE: as.info built in the source directory?
@ 2004-07-14 17:27           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-14 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Cagney'