From: ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Replacement for "objdump -d -l"?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:38:59 +0200	[thread overview]

Nick Clifton via Binutils writes:
> But to be fair, the output format does not change that much, and
> it could be documented if there really was a need.

I've implemented a Perl script that just extracts the file and directory
tables from the -WNl dump and checks which of these actually get
referenced by line number statements.  The latter part is necessary
since there are more files in the tables than are actually used in line
number statements.  I still extract more files than what I am getting
from "objdump -dl", these extras seem to be instances where the same
address in the disassembly has multiple views associated (not analysed,
but from the files involved these might be resulting from macro
expansions).  I have not yet figured out which of these views is the one
that ends up in the disassembly with line numbers dump, but for the
prupose of debugging it seems I should actually keep debug sources for
all views the debugger might encounter.  The other snag I've hit is
relative directories in the directory table, but with the examples I've
seen so far these resolve relative to directory entry #0 (which is
otherwise unreferenced by file table entries).

Regards,
Achim.