* gold library search path?
@ 2011-07-13 23:07 Per Øyvind Karlsen
From: Per Øyvind Karlsen @ 2011-07-13 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I feel a bit silly for not being able to figure this out, trying
to go through the search over and over, googling and blah,
but I'm totally not able to figure out how to set the library search
of the gold linker during build..?

Passing '--with-lib-path=/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib'
to configure gives me the expected behaviour I want with the bfd linker,
but gold only wants to try search /lib & /usr/lib no matter what.. :|

So that makes me wonder whether this actually might be a bug or not,
while still feeling a bit st00pid.. :p

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind

* Re: gold library search path?
@ 2011-07-14  1:01 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-07-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Øyvind Karlsen; +Cc: binutils

Per Øyvind Karlsen <peroyvind@mandriva.org> writes:

> I feel a bit silly for not being able to figure this out, trying
> to go through the search over and over, googling and blah,
> but I'm totally not able to figure out how to set the library search
> of the gold linker during build..?
>
> Passing '--with-lib-path=/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib'
> to configure gives me the expected behaviour I want with the bfd linker,
> but gold only wants to try search /lib & /usr/lib no matter what.. :|
>
> So that makes me wonder whether this actually might be a bug or not,
> while still feeling a bit st00pid.. :p

You're not stupid, there actually isn't a way to set gold's default
library path using a configure option.

I see that GNU ld does support a --with-lib-path configure option, and I
would not be opposed to supporting it in gold either.  The current
default (/lib:/usr/lib, adjusted for any --sysroot option) is set in
General_options::finalize in option.cc.

Ian

* Re: gold library search path?
@ 2011-07-14  2:53   ` Per Øyvind Karlsen
From: Per Øyvind Karlsen @ 2011-07-14  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: binutils

2011/7/14 Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>:
> Per Øyvind Karlsen <peroyvind@mandriva.org> writes:
>
>> I feel a bit silly for not being able to figure this out, trying
>> to go through the search over and over, googling and blah,
>> but I'm totally not able to figure out how to set the library search
>> of the gold linker during build..?
>>
>> Passing '--with-lib-path=/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib'
>> to configure gives me the expected behaviour I want with the bfd linker,
>> but gold only wants to try search /lib & /usr/lib no matter what.. :|
>>
>> So that makes me wonder whether this actually might be a bug or not,
>> while still feeling a bit st00pid.. :p
>
> You're not stupid, there actually isn't a way to set gold's default
> library path using a configure option.
>
> I see that GNU ld does support a --with-lib-path configure option, and I
> would not be opposed to supporting it in gold either.  The current
> default (/lib:/usr/lib, adjusted for any --sysroot option) is set in
> General_options::finalize in option.cc.
Ah, that explains it, I think that was where I found the traces of it
in the code,
but I figured that there had to like more "proper" and some actual "correct"
place to do it.

I guess I'll just patch option.cc for now, while awaiting for gold to support
the --with-lib-path option as well. :o)

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind