* binutils 2.20 gone missing?
@ 2013-01-16 20:00 Sebastian Unger
From: Sebastian Unger @ 2013-01-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi There,

I'm trying to rebuild an older tool-chain of mine which was using
binutils 2.20. I was surprised that that source tarball is gone from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/. I can still find the file around the
internet, but I wanted to know why it was gone. Was it simply
accidentally deleted or is there a deeper reason?

Please copy me to my address, as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Cheers,
Seb

* Re: binutils 2.20 gone missing?
@ 2013-01-17 14:00 ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2013-01-17 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Unger; +Cc: binutils

On Jan 16, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Sebastian Unger wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I'm trying to rebuild an older tool-chain of mine which was using
> binutils 2.20. I was surprised that that source tarball is gone from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/. I can still find the file around the
> internet, but I wanted to know why it was gone. Was it simply
> accidentally deleted or is there a deeper reason?

I cannot remember having removed binutils 2.20.

What is wrong with binutils 2.20.1 ?

Tristan.

@ 2013-01-17 15:52 ` nick clifton
From: nick clifton @ 2013-01-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Unger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Seb,

> I'm trying to rebuild an older tool-chain of mine which was using
> binutils 2.20. I was surprised that that source tarball is gone from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/.

I can see a binutils-2.20.1.tar.bz2 file there.  Is that not what you want ?

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: binutils 2.20 gone missing?
@ 2013-01-17 18:35   ` Sebastian Unger
From: Sebastian Unger @ 2013-01-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick clifton; +Cc: binutils

Hi Nick & Clifton,

I'm trying to reproduce a toolchain from source to the point of being
able to produce binary identical output from an tag of our sources.
The toolchain used to use 2.20, so that's what I was going for. I
wanted to know why 2.20 had been removed. I.e. was it an accident or
was there some serious flaw with it and it was recalled. In that
latter case I need to think about whether we really DO want to produce
binary identical output or rather get the benefit of not having the
flaw. (whatever that might be).

An alternative explanation could be that you guys never released a
2.20 in which case I have to start researching more where we got it
from.

Cheers,
Seb

@ 2013-01-18  9:27     ` nick clifton
From: nick clifton @ 2013-01-18  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Unger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Seb,

> I'm trying to reproduce a toolchain from source to the point of being
> able to produce binary identical output from an tag of our sources.
> The toolchain used to use 2.20, so that's what I was going for. I
> wanted to know why 2.20 had been removed. I.e. was it an accident or
> was there some serious flaw with it and it was recalled. In that
> latter case I need to think about whether we really DO want to produce
> binary identical output or rather get the benefit of not having the
> flaw. (whatever that might be).

To be honest with you, I do not know why it was pulled from the FSF's
website.  Space considerations maybe ?  2.20,1 is a bug-fix-only
improvement on the 2.20 sources, so if the FSF servers are running out
of room, it would make sense to only include the latest version of each
major release.

Since you are able to find the 2.20 release elsewhere I would suggest
that you stick with that.  At least until you encounter problems which
might be fixed by a later release.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: binutils 2.20 gone missing?
@ 2013-01-18  6:09       ` Ralf Corsepius
From: Ralf Corsepius @ 2013-01-18  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On 01/17/2013 08:27 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2013 13:57:38 Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> On 1/17/2013 12:43 PM, Sebastian Unger wrote:

>>> that was 2.20.1a. The two are now identical in the archive, so 2.20.1a
>>> replaced 2.20.1 completely. But there's no trace of 2.20.
IIRC, the non-"*a" version were removed from ftp.gnu.org for legal
reasons and replaced with sym-links to the "*a" versions. No idea,
however, why 2.20 is missing.

>> $ md5sum binutils-2.20.tar.bz2
>> ee2d3e996e9a2d669808713360fa96f8  binutils-2.20.tar.bz2

AFAIS, this md5sum matches with the version on sourceware.org. So, I'd
assume sourceware.org still carries the original versions.

Ralf

* Re: binutils 2.20 gone missing?
@ 2013-01-17 19:29       ` Sebastian Unger
From: Sebastian Unger @ 2013-01-17 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: binutils, Joel Sherrill

Thanks guys.

I have that file, (we kept the source) and confirmed both MD5 and SHA1
match. I'd still recommend putting it back in the archive if there
wasn't a good reason to remove it in the first place so as to avoid
confusing others. If there was a good reason, then a README.2.20
explaining the same would be good.

Cheers,
Seb

@ 2013-01-17 19:24     ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2013-01-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Joel Sherrill, Sebastian Unger

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 616 bytes --]

@ 2013-01-17 18:58   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2013-01-17 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Unger; +Cc: binutils

On 1/17/2013 12:43 PM, Sebastian Unger wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> that was 2.20.1a. The two are now identical in the archive, so 2.20.1a
> replaced 2.20.1 completely. But there's no trace of 2.20.
Ahh...

I checked an RTEMS tools testing machine and I have the
binutils-2.20.tar.bz2 file on it.

$ md5sum binutils-2.20.tar.bz2
ee2d3e996e9a2d669808713360fa96f8  binutils-2.20.tar.bz2

Do I need to arrange to get it to someone to get it back on the
GNU machine?

@ 2013-01-17 18:44 ` Sebastian Unger
From: Sebastian Unger @ 2013-01-17 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: binutils