Thanks for the advice Nick On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 8:51 AM Nick Clifton wrote: > Hi Azael, > > > now I want to create a useful assembler with new capabilities, even I > want to add a high level assembler like a C/C++ syntaxes, all that to > support the open source movement. > > Well I wish you luck. I feel that I should point out that there > are already two open source assemblers available - the one from > the GNU binutils project and the one from the LLVM project. So > you probably need to have some feature to make yours stand out. > > Also please be prepared for the fact that creating a fully functional > assembler is no small task. You will find that it will take up a > lot of your time. > > As a suggestion I would restrict yourself to just supporting the > ELF file format and the DWARF debug format. There are other > formats out there, but only supporting one does make things simpler. > Plus you may be able to take advantage of packages like the elfutils > which provide libraries for manipulating ELF and DWARF. > > Another suggestion is to steal, sorry I mean borrow, all of the > tests used by the other assemblers. Make sure that your assembler > can pass those tests too. That should give you great confidence > that the assembler works. > > Oh and one more thing - document everything. Good documentation > and good comments are the key to a long lived open source project. > > Cheers > Nick > >