I was thinking of an update for GAS, not a competition with other compilers. I was really hoping that the project had some plans about it, I think I'm going to reevaluate my plan, as I already told you, I already started the project and I know that I can still learn many things.https://github.com/azaeldevel/OCC.git On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 9:25 AM Mike Frysinger wrote: > On 22 Jan 2024 16:51, Nick Clifton wrote: > > > now I want to create a useful assembler with new capabilities, even I > want to add a high level assembler like a C/C++ syntaxes, all that to > support the open source movement. > > > > Well I wish you luck. I feel that I should point out that there > > are already two open source assemblers available - the one from > > the GNU binutils project and the one from the LLVM project. So > > you probably need to have some feature to make yours stand out. > > there's even more if the target is x86 -- nasm/yasm, and masm (Windows). > there's also dev86 which hasn't been updated in a while, but seems to be > used in a few places still. > > creating an assembler can certainly be a useful learning exercise. going > beyond that, everything Nick said is certainly true -- it's already a > pretty > competitive landscape, so you'd want to identify a significant shortcoming > to make yours stand out as something people would care about. > > just don't morph into something like High Level Assembly (HLA) :). > -mike >