* question about tcb_size in arm
@ 2012-04-21  6:43 rain z
From: rain z @ 2012-04-21  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,
   When I read the source code of binutils-2.21.1/bfd/elf32-arm.c, I
found the tcb size defined here is 8,which is:

/* The size of the thread control block. */
#define TCB_SIZE 8

well, in my knowledge, the size of thread control block is larger than
8 bytes,  so why it is defined 8 bytes here?
Thanks in advance.

--
Microprocessor Research and Development Center (MPRC),
Room 1818, Science Building 1,

* Re: question about tcb_size in arm
@ 2012-05-02 15:39 ` nick clifton
From: nick clifton @ 2012-05-02 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rain z; +Cc: binutils

Hi Rain,

>     When I read the source code of binutils-2.21.1/bfd/elf32-arm.c, I
> found the tcb size defined here is 8,which is:
>
> /* The size of the thread control block. */
> #define TCB_SIZE 8
>
> well, in my knowledge, the size of thread control block is larger than
> 8 bytes,  so why it is defined 8 bytes here?

I suspect that this is a misnomer.  I think that in this case the
"thread control block" being referred to is in fact the first few words
in the .tls section rather than the header for a software thread.  So
the comment probably ought to read:

   /* The size of the TLS control block.  */

Cheers
   Nick