* [ld] ld COFF support??
@ 2013-10-15  7:12 Megora Chai
From: Megora Chai @ 2013-10-15  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Binutils Development

Hello,

For a school assignment we are looking at how different file formats are
linked. I am trying to examine the linking process of some formats using
ld from binutils. Is LD able to link COFF format files (.obj or .lib)
generated by microsoft tools?

Thank you.
M Chai

* Re: [ld] ld COFF support??
@ 2013-10-15  7:22 ` suzuki toshiya
From: suzuki toshiya @ 2013-10-15  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Megora Chai; +Cc: Binutils Development

There are so many variants of COFF, some are supported and others are not yet.
But if you focus on a variant by Microsoft, so-called "PE" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable ), binutils LD supports it.

Regards,
mpsuzuki

On 10/15/2013 04:12 PM, Megora Chai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a school assignment we are looking at how different file formats are linked. I am trying to examine the linking process of some formats using ld from binutils. Is LD able to link COFF format files (.obj or .lib) generated by microsoft tools?
>
> Thank you.
> M Chai

* Re: [ld] ld COFF support??
@ 2013-10-15 15:07 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2013-10-15 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Megora Chai; +Cc: Binutils Development

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Megora Chai <megorachan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For a school assignment we are looking at how different file formats are
> linked. I am trying to examine the linking process of some formats using ld
> from binutils. Is LD able to link COFF format files (.obj or .lib) generated
> by microsoft tools?

The Microsoft object file format is based on COFF, but it is
significantly different and can not reasonably be called COFF any
more.  It is normally called PE.

In any case the GNU linker is able to link both PE and COFF files.

(COFF == Common Object File Format and was created by AT&T for SVR3.
PE == Portable Executable and was created by Microsoft, based on COFF,
for Windows NT and Windows 95.)

Ian