* GOLD linker and arm-none-symbianelf
@ 2017-02-20 17:17 Marian Kechlibar
From: Marian Kechlibar @ 2017-02-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello all,

although Symbian OS is practically dead in the commercial world, I still
have to support several hundred Symbian OS - based clients.

Recently, I successfully built binutils 2.27 for target
arm-none-symbianelf. It works. But I cannot build "gold" for this
target, only "ld". It seems that the target platform is not supported.

I can build gold for linux from the same sources just fine.

Is really gold unusable on arm-none-symbianelf?

If I still wanted to build gold for arm-none-symbianelf, what edits do I
have to do in config/makefiles in order to get the system to build the
binary?

Best regards

Marian Kechlibar

* Re: GOLD linker and arm-none-symbianelf
@ 2017-02-20 18:44 ` Ian Lance Taylor via binutils
From: Ian Lance Taylor via binutils @ 2017-02-20 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marian Kechlibar; +Cc: Binutils

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Marian Kechlibar
<marian.kechlibar@circletech.net> wrote:

> although Symbian OS is practically dead in the commercial world, I still
> have to support several hundred Symbian OS - based clients.
>
> Recently, I successfully built binutils 2.27 for target
> arm-none-symbianelf. It works. But I cannot build "gold" for this
> target, only "ld". It seems that the target platform is not supported.
>
> I can build gold for linux from the same sources just fine.
>
> Is really gold unusable on arm-none-symbianelf?
>
> If I still wanted to build gold for arm-none-symbianelf, what edits do I
> have to do in config/makefiles in order to get the system to build the
> binary?

What is different between arm-none-elf and arm-none-symbianelf, and
how do does differences affect the linker?

If there is no effect on the linker then you probably just need to
edit the handling of ENABLE_GOLD in the top-level configure.ac to
recognize "symbianelf" as identical to "elf".

Looking at ld/emulparams/armsymbian.sh, though, and comparing it to
ld/emulparams/armelf.sh, it looks like some special symbols may need
to be defined.  That will require more work.

Ian

* Re: GOLD linker and arm-none-symbianelf
@ 2017-02-20 18:51   ` Marian Kechlibar
From: Marian Kechlibar @ 2017-02-20 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I must admit that I am not well-versed in the ELF format; I think that
there must be some difference between "elf" and "symbianelf", though.

Daniel Jacobowitz of Code Sourcery, who used to maintain the CSL ARM
Toolchains, probably knows better.

M.

@ 2017-02-20 20:27     ` Ian Lance Taylor via binutils
From: Ian Lance Taylor via binutils @ 2017-02-20 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marian Kechlibar; +Cc: Binutils

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Marian Kechlibar
<marian.kechlibar@circletech.net> wrote:
> I must admit that I am not well-versed in the ELF format; I think that
> there must be some difference between "elf" and "symbianelf", though.
>
> Daniel Jacobowitz of Code Sourcery, who used to maintain the CSL ARM
> Toolchains, probably knows better.

Daniel left CodeSourcery over five years ago.  I don't know whether he
still reads this mailing list.

Ian