On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Matthias Klose wrote: > > On 28.04.22 11:46, Nick Clifton via Binutils wrote: > > Hi Guys, > > > > OK, attached is v2 of my proposed patch. The main features of this > > new version are: > > > > * There are now configure options which can turn off the generation > > of linker warnings about the creation of executable segments and > > the creation of executable stacks. By default however not using > > these configure options will result in the creation of a linker > > with all of the warnings enabled. > > > > * There is new linker command line option: --no-warn-rwx-segments > > which disables the warnings about executable segments. > > > > * There are tests for the new features, plus extra regexps in the > > testsuite's pruning proc to remove the warnings from the linker's > > output for normal tests. > > > > * The creation of a TLS segment with eXecute permission will trigger > > a warning, regardless of whether it has the read and/or write > > permissions set. > > > > * There is a new configure time option which will disable the > > creation of an executable stack simply because an input file is > > missing a .note-GNU-stack section (for those architectures where > > such a creation is the normal behaviour). This option is not > > enabled by default however. At least not yet. > > > > I think that this represents the best compromise between helping to > > promote secure builds whilst also allowing toolchain creators and > > program builders the option to disable the features if they wish. > > > > Any comments ? > > this commit contains a ld/aclocal.m4 generated with automake 1.16. Please > re-create that file with automake 1.15.1. And maybe re-create the Makefile.in > also with the correct automake version. > > Thanks, Matthias I am checking in this. -- H.J.