From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net>
To: Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com>
Cc: Dmitry Selyutin <ghostmansd@gmail.com>, binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: PPC binutils opcodes
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:46:16 +0100	[thread overview]

(thanks kindly for cc'ing alan)

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 2:13 PM Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, we are getting close to the limit on mainline, 241 entries.

Matrix-Multiply-Assist and etc. from Power ISA 3.1 i presume, which have
new Forms and new operand field names?

btw what's the best advice for submitting Draft work? we're attempting
to keep to the Sandbox EXT022 but at some point we're going to run
out of space there.  is there a "--draft" or "--experimental" flag
that can be set?
or is it something that is fine under a new CPU name (e.g. -mlibresoc)?

given that the Power ISA is both Trademarked and controlled by the
OpenPOWER Foundation, i quite understand if the answer is,
"You Don't - not until it's ratified by the ISA WG".

a potential compromise between the pain-in-the-ass of having to maintain
an indefinite fork on the one hand and accidentally becoming the de-facto
dominant "occupier" of EXT022 would be a dynamic-loadable module
system.

[although, how the heck that would work for SVP64 Prefixing will
be a bit of a handful].

l.