* Problem with library preloading plus procps
@ 2001-12-28 20:21 Manuel Arriaga
From: Manuel Arriaga @ 2001-12-28 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Ross Skaliotis

Hello,

I am using binutils-2.11.90.0.19, and procps-2.0.7 on GNU/Linux.

When I set LD_PRELOAD and run a program, I expect _init() (defined in the
preloaded object) to be called before any code in the program is executed.

However, if you compile the code in the attached tarball, preload it and then
run one of the commands in the procps package (ps, top, free) you might
notice that the open() function is called before _init() is run.

Can you offer any hints as to why this might be happening? As far as I know,
this has occurred under Slackware 7.1, Slackware 8.0 and RedHat 7.1.

Best regards,

Manuel Arriaga

PS: This isn't happening only on my machine; several users of libtrash
(http://www.m-arriaga.net/software/libtrash) have described the same problem.