On 16 Nov 2022 16:13, Michael Matz wrote: > On Wed, 16 Nov 2022, Mike Frysinger wrote: > > are you claiming that current gnulib versions can't support even those old > > versions of glibc ? i'd find that extremely surprising, and really sounds > > like a bug that should be taken up with the gnulib folks. > > No. I'm claiming that moving to gnulib is work (even if perhaps not > much?) and change and I (personally) don't see the need to invest into > that work and deal with the change. Had you asked "should I look into > using gnulib in bfd" my answer would have been "well, try it, why not?". > But you asked "should _we_ look" (aka should someone do that), hence my > answer was in the line of "perhaps, but why bother?". you're proposing adding a not insignificant amount of custom portability logic and making the readelf code harder to understand & maintain while also not fixing the same bug in other binutils/ tools. it is perfectly reasonable to ask you to not add tech debt & make the code base worse off for everyone else to maintain, and instead focus on a common solution that the GNU project is already heavily invested in. this is, of course, the "GNU Binutils" project. -mike