On 22 Jan 2024 10:37, Azael Developer wrote: > I was thinking of an update for GAS, not a competition with other > compilers. I was really hoping that the project had some plans about > it, tbh, i think gas is a "finished" assembler at this point, and most new work is going into other places like language frontends. i don't think the project is anti new-features, it's more "who is the audience" for such changes, and does it make more sense to put things into gas vs just (ab)using the preprocessor to largely get the same benefit. e.g. it's pretty common to create a .S file to run through cpp and gain benefit from the various define's that the arch backend provides to produce the .s file that gets fed to the assembler. there are cases where i don't have a preprocessor and can only write .s, but it's pretty uncommon. personally i wish the macro language was a bit easier to use. or you could see our existing gas bug list and whether there's any feature requests that are interesting. https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=SUSPENDED&bug_status=WAITING&bug_status=REOPENED&component=gas&list_id=80426&order=Importance&product=binutils&query_format=advanced -mike