* enable-targets=all fails on cygwin
@ 2007-07-10 17:31 NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2007-07-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Binutils

I downloaded the latest binutils from cvs last night, and today ran:

../src/configure --enable-targets=all
make > /dev/null

...on i686-pc-cygwin.  I received the following error:

../../src/binutils/bin2c.c: In function `main':
../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
function `_fileno'
../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
function `_setmode'

Is enable-targets=all an invalid option on cygwin?  Or am I doing
something stupid that I don't realize?

* RE: enable-targets=all fails on cygwin
@ 2007-07-10 17:33 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-07-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'NightStrike', 'Binutils'

On 10 July 2007 18:16, NightStrike wrote:

> I downloaded the latest binutils from cvs last night, and today ran:
>
> ../src/configure --enable-targets=all
> make > /dev/null
>
> ...on i686-pc-cygwin.  I received the following error:
>
> ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c: In function `main':
> ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
> function `_fileno'
> ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
> function `_setmode'
>

> Is enable-targets=all an invalid option on cygwin?  Or am I doing
> something stupid that I don't realize?

  It's not supported on cygwin.  The main issue is that the code for the
output format in the bfd lib is still somewhat hard-wired, and cygwin uses
PE-COFF, which clashes with the ELF format output routines, preventing them
from being combined in a single executable.

  I had a plan to get this working at some stage last summer, but I dropped it
on the floor owing to work pressures; I now think I should pick it back up
over the next month or two when I start to find some spare time.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: enable-targets=all fails on cygwin
@ 2007-07-11  8:15   ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2007-07-11  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: Binutils

On 7/10/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
> On 10 July 2007 18:16, NightStrike wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the latest binutils from cvs last night, and today ran:
> >
> > ../src/configure --enable-targets=all
> > make > /dev/null
> >
> > ...on i686-pc-cygwin.  I received the following error:
> >
> > ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c: In function `main':
> > ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
> > function `_fileno'
> > ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
> > function `_setmode'
> >

> > Is enable-targets=all an invalid option on cygwin?  Or am I doing
> > something stupid that I don't realize?
>

>  It's not supported on cygwin.  The main issue is that the code for the
> output format in the bfd lib is still somewhat hard-wired, and cygwin uses
> PE-COFF, which clashes with the ELF format output routines, preventing them
> from being combined in a single executable.
>
>  I had a plan to get this working at some stage last summer, but I dropped it
> on the floor owing to work pressures; I now think I should pick it back up
> over the next month or two when I start to find some spare time.

Thanks for the quick and informative response.  If you do find time to
resume work on it, would you be able to let me know?  I'd be
interested in it.