Hello! I am a novice in Linux, so I'd like to understand, how it works and I started compile projects, follow by linuxfromscratch recommendations But I do it not in clear system, - on my Linux Mint //--------------------------------------------------------------- to build binutils - is very simple ! (according to www.linuxfromscratch.org) but there were so many errors and warnings ... I don't understand, what is a reason I cannot build this project - according different sites, it is easy! so I decided to compile binutils step-by-step - and not statically, but make shared libraries I have wrote a bash script about 150 lines (initially it was up to 600!) to automatically download, extract, and *prepare for compiling* binutils tar.gz archive. For next step I am to build gdb server and gcc compiler and now I see directories libiberty, gold, libdecimal with the same names I saw in bunutils Could you explain me, these projects have the same components? why not to build binutils components as shared libraries and install them to /lib directory to use in future?