* BFD + ARC
@ 2002-07-02 16:47 Rajneesh Kumar
From: Rajneesh Kumar @ 2002-07-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi all,

I am new to binutils/ bfd so please pardon my ignorance.

I had to write a small linker/ loader for supporting the position
independent data for the ARC cores, the fully resolved/ relocatable
ELF file is produced by High C/C++ toolset from Precise.

After going through the BFD documentation, initially it seemed
promising to me to solve my problem but after a small implementation
it looks like there is not enough support for ARC.

The BFD library is unable to recognize the architecture (used
bfd_printable_name), where as using command file on the ARC ELF gives
"ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Argonaut RISC Core, Argonaut Technologies
Inc., version 1, not stripped". I am using target type as
"elf32-little".

Can anyone guide me if its good idea to use BFD for this purpose and
if there is sufficient support for ARC in BFD and any guidance on the
above problem. All pointers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
raj

* Re: BFD + ARC
@ 2002-07-03  2:29 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2002-07-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajneesh Kumar; +Cc: binutils

Hi Rajneesh,

> Can anyone guide me if its good idea to use BFD for this purpose and
> if there is sufficient support for ARC in BFD and any guidance on the
> above problem. All pointers will be highly appreciated.

The BFD library does have support for the ARC architecture, and it
ought to be able to recognise your binaries as ARC binaries.  If it
does not then there may be a discrepancy between how the BFD code
labels the binaries that it produces and the binaries that the Precise
toolset produces.

The first thing to check is the EM_xxx value in the e_machine field of
the ELF header.  BFD is expecting the value 45 (decimal).  See the
function arc_elf_object_p() in bfd/elf32-arc.c for more information.

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: BFD + ARC
@ 2002-07-03  4:17 Peter.Targett
From: Peter.Targett @ 2002-07-03  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajneesh Kumar; +Cc: binutils

> The BFD library is unable to recognize the architecture (used
> bfd_printable_name), where as using command file on the ARC ELF gives
> "ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Argonaut RISC Core, Argonaut Technologies
> Inc., version 1, not stripped". I am using target type as
> "elf32-little".

Try target 'arc-elf32'. This gives you support for Tangent-A4.

Peter.

Unless otherwise expressly stated, this message does not create or vary any
contractual relationship between you and ARC International.  The contents
of this e-mail may be confidential and if you have received it in error,
please delete it from your system, destroy any hard copies and telephone
the above number.  Incoming e-mails to ARC may be subject to monitoring
other than by the addressee.