* Need to create new relocation node
@ 2004-10-30 12:20 Narendra Kiran Chinnam
From: Narendra Kiran Chinnam @ 2004-10-30 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

When Iam trying to call a static function from another
function, a 'jmp' instruction is placed instead of
'call' instruction. I have used "-O2" optimization.
Without optimization flag, 'call' instruction is
placed as expected. It is required that a relocation
node be generated for function call. I have modified
gas to emit relocations for static function calls. But
when -O2 flag is used no relocation is generated.  Now
I need to make sure that a relocation is generated for
every 'jmp' instruction whose target is a function. I
tried modifying "md_convert_flag" in "tc-i386.c", but
to no avail. I would appreciate any help that would
solve this problem.

Regards,
Narendra Kiran CH
VinDynamics Software Eng
Bangalore

* Re: Need to create new relocation node
@ 2004-10-30 14:56 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-10-30 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Kiran Chinnam; +Cc: binutils

Narendra Kiran Chinnam <narendrakiran@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> When Iam trying to call a static function from another
> function, a 'jmp' instruction is placed instead of
> 'call' instruction. I have used "-O2" optimization.
> Without optimization flag, 'call' instruction is
> placed as expected. It is required that a relocation
> node be generated for function call. I have modified
> gas to emit relocations for static function calls. But
> when -O2 flag is used no relocation is generated.  Now
> I need to make sure that a relocation is generated for
> every 'jmp' instruction whose target is a function. I
> tried modifying "md_convert_flag" in "tc-i386.c", but
> to no avail. I would appreciate any help that would
> solve this problem.

What is generating the jmp instruction?  Sounds like you need to
modify the compiler, not the assembler.  You may want to try the
compiler option -fno-optimize-sibling-calls.

Ian