* Re: About ELF and COFF
@ 2004-05-10 14:11 libra
From: libra @ 2004-05-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Thanks for your reply

After reading your comment, i still cann't get a concrete ideas about their
difference.
Therefore, i try to search the specification of ELF and COFF.
Once i have read these two specification, i can more understand your comment.
But, i can not find the COFF specification.
I just find the Microsoft PE and COFF file format specification.
Where i can download the UNIX COFF specification?

                                                  Thanks a lot!!

> > Is there any documentation about ELF is better than COFF?
>
> Probably, though I don't know of any.
>
> > Which problems the ELF correct that exist with COFF?
>
> COFF has no coherent way to implement shared libraries.  COFF shared
> libraries are normally implemented by putting the shared library at a
> fixed address, and linking to that address.  This is inflexible, and
> makes it quite difficult to coordinate shared libraries from multiple
> vendors.
>
> COFF relocations are not well specified.  All details are processor
> dependent.  (This is partially true of ELF, but at least ELF fully
> specifies the relocation format; only the details of performing the
> relocation are processor dependent.  This makes it possible to write
> generic code to examine ELF relocations.)
>
> COFF has no way to specify required section alignment in an object
> file.
>
> COFF has no way to specify required alignment for a common symbol.
>
> COFF stores debugging information in the symbol table (and in a
> separate line number table), which makes it difficult to enhance as
> new debugging information tends to break existing linkers.  For
> example, debugging C++ code using COFF debugging information is hard
> and most operations do not work.  (A GNU extension is to use stabs
> debugging information instead, and store that in separate sections.
> Some people now use DWARF debugging information in COFF sections,
> which is essentially equivalent to the ELF approach.)
>
> Many COFF implementations only permit up to 65535 relocations per
> section, which sounds like a lot but is insufficient for some real
> programs.
>
> There is no unified way to recognize a COFF file.  Every COFF file has
> a magic number which is specific to a particular version of COFF.
>
> Those are the deficiencies which come to mind.
>
> Ian

* Re: About ELF and COFF
@ 2004-05-05 11:01 libra
From: libra @ 2004-05-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Thanks for your reply

I try to search this article "ELF: An Object File to Mitigate Mischievous
Misoneism", but i just get the list.

I can not find the whole context about this article.
Where can i download it?
                                        thanks a lot !!

>     ELF: An Object File to Mitigate Mischievous Misoneism
>     James Q. Arnold
>     USENIX June 1990

* Re: About ELF and COFF
@ 2004-05-05  2:49 libra
From: libra @ 2004-05-05  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any documentation about ELF is better than COFF?
Which problems the ELF correct that exist with COFF?

                                            thanks a lot !!

> The COFF is used by System V Release 3(SVR3) UNIX.
> The ELF is used by System V Release 4(SVR4) UNIX.
>
> What is different between these two object file format?

The differences are extensive.  In fact, they are no more similar than
any other two object file formats.

> In other words, which one is better?

ELF is better.

> I think there are some reasons why the SVR4 use ELF,not use COFF as it's
> object file format.

Yes, there are.  ELF was written after experience with COFF, and
corrects the problems which exist with COFF.

Ian

* About ELF and COFF
@ 2004-05-04  9:13 libra
From: libra @ 2004-05-04  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello,all

There are some object file format like a.out,COFF and ELF

The COFF is used by System V Release 3(SVR3) UNIX.
The ELF is used by System V Release 4(SVR4) UNIX.

What is different between these two object file format?
In other words, which one is better?

I think there are some reasons why the SVR4 use ELF,not use COFF as it's
object file format.

                                                   thanks a lot!!