* BFD and Elf Symbol Size
@ 2007-10-19 11:40 Robert Norton
From: Robert Norton @ 2007-10-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

Is there any way to get the size of an elf symbol via the BFD?

Thanks,

Robert

* Re: BFD and Elf Symbol Size
@ 2007-10-19 15:36 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-10-19 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Norton; +Cc: binutils

"Robert Norton" <rnorton@broadcom.com> writes:

> Is there any way to get the size of an elf symbol via the BFD?

In general I would have to recommend against using BFD as a general
purpose library.

That said, sure, you can do anything.  In this case,

#include "elf-bfd.h"

and then

((elf_symbol_type *) symbol)->internal_elf_sym.st_size;

Ian

* RE: BFD and Elf Symbol Size
@ 2007-10-19 16:07   ` Robert Norton
From: Robert Norton @ 2007-10-19 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: binutils

I'm working on gprof which already makes use of the bfd.

> That said, sure, you can do anything.  In this case,
>
> #include "elf-bfd.h"
>
> and then
>
> ((elf_symbol_type *) symbol)->internal_elf_sym.st_size;

Great! Thanks.

Robert

* Re: BFD and Elf Symbol Size
@ 2007-10-19 18:55     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-10-19 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Norton; +Cc: binutils

"Robert Norton" <rnorton@broadcom.com> writes:

Not to miss the obvious, that is only safe when you know you are
looking at an ELF file.  You can check bfd_get_flavour.

Ian