* gasp, yet again, fails to die
@ 2003-04-26  1:56 Johann Oskarsson
From: Johann Oskarsson @ 2003-04-26  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

I'm using a rather old version of binutils on playstation 2 (mips) and
ran into problems with .ent/.end pairs as gasp treats .end as eof.  I
fixed this, with a little crude hack and the results can be seen at my
web page http://cosmos.raunvis.hi.is/~johannos/

Soon after that I found out that gasp has been depricated, but since
some ppl seemed to want to use it I am willing to continue supporting it
as a new project, independent of binutils, if there is any demand for
it.  I've already renamed it to masp (so it wouldn't conflict with the
old gasp in my path), be it mips or myrkraverk assembly preprocessor, or
whatever.

Any comments?

Johann

* Re: gasp, yet again, fails to die
@ 2003-04-26  4:24 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2003-04-26  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Oskarsson; +Cc: binutils

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 19:01, Johann Oskarsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a rather old version of binutils on playstation 2 (mips) and
> ran into problems with .ent/.end pairs as gasp treats .end as eof.  I
> fixed this, with a little crude hack and the results can be seen at my
> web page http://cosmos.raunvis.hi.is/~johannos/
>
> Soon after that I found out that gasp has been depricated, but since
> some ppl seemed to want to use it I am willing to continue supporting it
> as a new project, independent of binutils, if there is any demand for
> it.  I've already renamed it to masp (so it wouldn't conflict with the
> old gasp in my path), be it mips or myrkraverk assembly preprocessor, or
> whatever.
>
> Any comments?

You might want to look and see if sony has a new version of binutils. We
did some work for them to fix things up so that gasp was unnecessary for
them.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>

* Re: gasp, yet again, fails to die
@ 2003-04-28 15:11 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2003-04-28 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Oskarsson; +Cc: binutils

Hi Johann,

> Soon after that I found out that gasp has been depreciated, but since
> some ppl seemed to want to use it I am willing to continue supporting
> it as a new project, independent of binutils, if there is any demand
> for it.  I've already renamed it to masp (so it wouldn't conflict with
> the old gasp in my path), be it mips or myrkraverk assembly
> preprocessor, or whatever.
>
> Any comments?

Good luck :-)

Since the GASP sources were distributed under the terms of the GPL,
there is no problem with you using them in your MASP project,
providing of course that you retain the GPL licensing.

If you have a web site for the project we can even add a link to it
from the binutils web page.

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: gasp, yet again, fails to die
@ 2003-04-30 17:02   ` Johann Oskarsson
From: Johann Oskarsson @ 2003-04-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi,

Nick Clifton wrote:

>Since the GASP sources were distributed under the terms of the GPL,
>there is no problem with you using them in your MASP project,
>providing of course that you retain the GPL licensing.

Of course ;-)

>If you have a web site for the project we can even add a link to it
>from the binutils web page.

My first, sort of a trial, release is at
http://cosmos.raunvis.hi.is/~johannos/masp/
I still have to rewrite the documentation and do a lot of other stuff
before I call this a *real* release.

My version of masp is based on binutils version 2.13.1, if anyone knows
of changes to gasp since then, plz let me know.  I'll do a diff of the
CVS version later though.

In hope that masp becomes useful to somebody,

Johann