* binutils upgradation
@ 2003-03-16 15:29 Dheeru
From: Dheeru @ 2003-03-16 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello all,
           I am using a port of the standard GCC suite on a custom RISC
based processor. I'm looking for information on "How to upgrade the binutils
which is the component of our GNU C cross-compiler suite  to the latest
stable version 2.9.10". Can anybody give me the links to the relavant
information. I think the version interdependencies with the versions of
other components of the compiler suite are to be taken care while upgrading.
I have to do the upgradation work on crossplatform.
    Can anybody please guide me where to start for this and how to proceed.

Thanking you for any help provided.

Regards
Dheeru.

* Re: binutils upgradation
@ 2003-03-17  9:05 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2003-03-17  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dheeru; +Cc: binutils

Hi Dheeru,

>            I am using a port of the standard GCC suite on a custom
> RISC based processor. I'm looking for information on "How to upgrade
> the binutils which is the component of our GNU C cross-compiler
> suite  to the latest stable version 2.9.10".

  a).  There is no such document.

  b).  The latest stable version is 2.13.2

  c).  In general later binutils releases are backwards compatible
       with earlier binutils releases, so that they can be used as
       drop-in replacements.  Hence you should be able to download the
       sources, configure, compile and install them, update your PATH
       to point to the new installation, and everything should work.

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: binutils upgradation
@ 2003-03-17 10:49   ` CH DHIR NARASIMHA SWAMY
From: CH DHIR NARASIMHA SWAMY @ 2003-03-17 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: nickc

Hi Nick,

>>            I am using a port of the standard GCC suite on a custom
>> RISC based processor. I'm looking for information on "How to upgrade
>> the binutils which is the component of our GNU C cross-compiler
>> suite  to the latest stable version 2.9.10".
>
>   a).  There is no such document.
>
>   b).  The latest stable version is 2.13.2
>
>   c).  In general later binutils releases are backwards compatible
>        with earlier binutils releases, so that they can be used as
> drop-in replacements.  Hence you should be able to download the
> sources, configure, compile and install them, update your PATH to
> point to the new installation, and everything should work.
>
> Cheers
>         Nick

      That is fine then. So can I directly include the latest version into
of my Cross-compiler suite without any modifications in the new
version.
Actually my doubt is whether there are any "architecture specific changes"
required to be done in the new version to support "my architecture"?
Are there any for binutils?
This I'm asking because i'm using a new RISC architecure.

Thanks & Regards
Dheeru.

* Re: binutils upgradation
@ 2003-03-17 11:24     ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2003-03-17 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CH DHIR NARASIMHA SWAMY; +Cc: binutils

Hi Dheeru,

> Actually my doubt is whether there are any "architecture specific
> changes" required to be done in the new version to support "my
> architecture"?  Are there any for binutils?
> This I'm asking because i'm using a new RISC architecure.

Oh absolutely.  Supporting a new architecture involves a lot of work
in binutils.  You need to add a new target to support your
architecture, complete with files in the opcodes/ directory to support
the assembly and disassembly of instructions, as well as files in
gas/config/ to tune GAS for your target and in bfd/ to support linking
together files for your target.

You may also want to create a simulator and/or port GDB to work with
your new architecture.

Cheers
        Nick