* problem with function bfd_slurp_armap from bfd library
@ 2005-06-28 13:06 Marek Krzyżowski
From: Marek Krzyżowski @ 2005-06-28 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I have a question to developers of binutils, actually sending toward
these people, who take care about bfd library. Accordance with my
knowledge, function bfd_slurp_armap executes one of the function
relevant to type of map (list of symbols) inserted in static library
(COFF or BSD). Ranlib and ar, as I know, insert string of characters
begins from '/' at the beginning of the static library. It is
information for linker that it will be followed by list of symbols.
Unfortunetely, this is BSD format, but bfd library (function
bfd_slurp_armap) invokes function do_slurp_coff_armap!!! Why ?!

I am sorry, if my question is a result of lack in necessary resource of
knowledge, but like one great philosofer said once "Who ask, will find a
way". That's why I am asking ;)

    Thank you for your attention and best regards - Marek Krzyzowski

Jak powstaje auto? >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1898

* Re: problem with function bfd_slurp_armap from bfd library
@ 2005-06-29  5:03 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-06-29  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Krzyżowski; +Cc: binutils

Marek Krzyżowski <mkrzyz@interia.pl> writes:

> I have a question to developers of binutils, actually sending toward
> these people, who take care about bfd library. Accordance with my
> knowledge, function bfd_slurp_armap executes one of the function
> relevant to type of map (list of symbols) inserted in static library
> (COFF or BSD). Ranlib and ar, as I know, insert string of characters
> begins from '/' at the beginning of the static library. It is
> information for linker that it will be followed by list of
> symbols. Unfortunetely, this is BSD format, but bfd library (function
> bfd_slurp_armap) invokes function do_slurp_coff_armap!!! Why ?!

The archive map is stored as an entry in the archive, as though it
were a file itself.  If the name is "__.SYMDEF", it is treated as a
BSD style archive map.  If the name is simply "/" (which is,
incidentally, a name which can never be the name of a file), it is
treated as a COFF style archive map.  ELF archives are the same as
COFF archives.

So, from your description, you need to find out why your BSD style
archive map was named "/" rather than "__.SYMDEF".

Ian