* Gold linker, make test failures
@ 2010-11-24 15:26 Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2010-11-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello list,

I've been playing around trying to build the packages of our custom
distro with the gold linker.

Two issues have arisen with version 2.21.51.0.1

Firstly, 'make test' fails when configured with
'--enable-gold=both/gold', like this:

FAIL: flagstest_o_specialfile
PASS: flagstest_compress_debug_sections
FAIL: flagstest_o_specialfile_and_compress_debug_sections

I am using a vanilla gcc-4.5.1, and 'make test' works fine without
--enable-gold.

Is this a known issue? I couldn't find anything on bugzilla except with
respect to gcc 4-1. I'll add an entry unless there is a trivial answer
to this.

Secondly, libtool fails it's own 'make check' when built with the gold
linker. This is just a FYI; I can be more specific if it would be useful.

Andrew Walrond

* Re: Gold linker, make test failures
@ 2010-11-25  5:47 ` Ralf Wildenhues
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2010-11-25  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: binutils

Hello Andrew,

* Andrew Walrond wrote on Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 04:25:58PM CET:
> Secondly, libtool fails it's own 'make check' when built with the
> gold linker. This is just a FYI; I can be more specific if it would
> be useful.

Yes, please be more specific (but send to the bug-libtool list if this
is about bugs *in* libtool).  We merged LTO some support in commit
v2.2.10-189-g9797b61, so you should be using at least Libtool 2.4.

Thanks,
Ralf

* Re: Gold linker, make test failures
@ 2010-11-30  5:40 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-11-30  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: binutils

Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org> writes:

> I've been playing around trying to build the packages of our custom
> distro with the gold linker.
>
> Two issues have arisen with version 2.21.51.0.1
>
> Firstly, 'make test' fails when configured with
> --enable-gold=both/gold', like this:
>
> FAIL: flagstest_o_specialfile
> PASS: flagstest_compress_debug_sections
> FAIL: flagstest_o_specialfile_and_compress_debug_sections
>
> I am using a vanilla gcc-4.5.1, and 'make test' works fine without
> --enable-gold.
>
> Is this a known issue? I couldn't find anything on bugzilla except
> with respect to gcc 4-1. I'll add an entry unless there is a trivial
> answer to this.

I'm not aware of any failure here specifically.

Note that only recent versions of gold linker will work when using a
fairly new glibc.  I'm not sure what version 2.21.51.0.1 is.  You need a
version of gold newer than 2010-08-19.

Ian