public inbox for bzip2-devel@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de>
Cc: bzip2-devel@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Errors in man pages of bzip2
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:36:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Helge,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Sat, Feb 05, 2022 at 11:35:40AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
> not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
> problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
> them.
>
> I'm now reporting the errors for your project. If future reports
> should use another channel, please let me know.

If you could file future issues in bugzilla:
https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=bzip2
Then there is an archive. But sending reports to this list is also
fine.

> Man page: bzdiff.1
> Issue: missing markup (B< >)
>
> "cmp(1), diff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzgrep(1), bzip2(1)"

I don't understand what is wrong here.

> --
> Man page: bzexe.1
> Issue: markup of the command: B<bzexe /bin/cat>
>
> "The I<bzexe> utility allows you to compress executables in place and have "
> "them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in "
> "performance).  For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create "
> "the following two files:"

I believe bzexe is a Debian extension that isn't part of bzip2 as we ship it.

> --
> Man page: bzexe.1
> Issue: markup of file names:  I<>
>
> "/bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing "
> "executable file.  You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat "
> "works properly."

As above.

> --
> Man page: bzexe.1
> Issue: missing markup (B< >)
>
> msgid "bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1)"

As above.

> --
> Man page: bzgrep.1
> Issue: missing markup (B< >)
>
> "grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1)"

Again, I don't understand the issue here.

> --
> Man page: bzip2.1
> Issue: I<GNU gzip,> → I<GNU gzip>,
>
> "Unlike I<GNU gzip,> I<bzip2> will not create a cascade of I<.bz2> suffixes "
> "even when using the I<--force> option:"

This phrase isn't in our variant of the bzip2.1 man page.

> --
> Man page: bzmore.1
> Issue: missing markup (B< >)
>
> "more(1), less(1), bzip2(1), bzdiff(1), bzgrep(1)"

This is like above, I don't really understand what is wrong with the
way we use SEE ALSO in the manpages.

Thanks,

Mark