public inbox for c++-embedded@sourceware.org
* wide streams in EC++
@ 1998-09-26 20:38 Valentin Bonnard
From: Valentin Bonnard @ 1998-09-26 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c++-embedded

>[pjp]  Bet you didn't know that a fully conforming Standard C++ Library defines
>*four* wide-stream objects in <iostream>,

Well, I know that, but I also know that you weren't talking to me.

>along with the four better-known
>char-based stream objects. And given the bizarre initialization requirements
>for these eight objects, it's rather difficult to eliminate all code for these objects
>*even if they're not used in the program.*

Well, it's certainly possible for the compiler to deal with that but
I trust you that w/o any compiler support it might be quite difficult
for the library writer.

>That's one way in which the mere
>presence of a feature in a specification can quietly cost you even when you
>make no specific use of the feature.

Well, here the problem seems to be with initialisation problems.

Why didn't you relaxed the 'bizarre' initialisation rules instead
of removing wios and all (ok, I know, you didn't _removed_ anything,
you didn't made wios mandatory) ?

It seems to me that:
- many (not all of course) embeded devices can be/are localised
- wchar_t makes it possible or at least easier to write portable
  localised applications

Valentin Bonnard                mailto:bonnardv@pratique.fr
info about C++/a propos du C++: http://pages.pratique.fr/~bonnardv/

* wide streams in EC++
@ 1998-09-30  9:56 P.J. Plauger
From: P.J. Plauger @ 1998-09-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c++-embedded

Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 05:38:38 +0200
To: c++-embedded@cygnus.com
From: bonnardv@pratique.fr (Valentin Bonnard)
Subject: wide streams in EC++

>[pjp]  Bet you didn't know that a fully conforming Standard C++ Library defines
>*four* wide-stream objects in <iostream>,

Well, I know that, but I also know that you weren't talking to me.

[pjp]  I thought I was.

>along with the four better-known
>char-based stream objects. And given the bizarre initialization requirements
>for these eight objects, it's rather difficult to eliminate all code for these objects
>*even if they're not used in the program.*

Well, it's certainly possible for the compiler to deal with that but
I trust you that w/o any compiler support it might be quite difficult
for the library writer.

[pjp]  It is.

 Why didn't you relaxed the 'bizarre' initialisation rules instead
of removing wios and all (ok, I know, you didn't _removed_ anything,
you didn't made wios mandatory) ?

[pjp]  Because it wasn't for me to decide. I implemented a specification
worked out by the Embedded C++ Technical Committee, over many
months and after considerable thought. If it were left to each of us to
develop the subset we thought best, we would have mayhem, not a
coherent specification that appears to meet many needs.

It seems to me that:
- many (not all of course) embeded devices can be/are localised
- wchar_t makes it possible or at least easier to write portable
  localised applications

[pjp]  That may be, but people with more experience on this topic than
I decided to omit nearly all wchar_t support from the EC++ library.

P.J. Plauger