From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>
To: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim.kuvyrkov@linaro.org>,
	Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>
	Christophe Lyon <christophe.lyon@linaro.org>,
	Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Checks that autotools generated files were re-generated correctly
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 08:50:20 -0500	[thread overview]

On 11/7/23 02:38, Maxim Kuvyrkov wrote:
>> On Nov 6, 2023, at 21:19, Christophe Lyon
>> <christophe.lyon@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 at 18:05, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have inherited Martin Liška's buildbot script that checks that
>>> all sorts of autotools generated files, mainly configure scripts,
>>> were re-generated correctly when appropriate.  While the checks
>>> are hopefully useful, they report issues surprisingly often and
>>> reporting them feels especially unproductive.
>>>
>>> Could such checks be added to our server side push hooks so that
>>> commits introducing these breakages would get refused
>>> automatically.  While the check might be a bit expensive, it only
>>> needs to be run on files touching the generated files and/or the
>>> files these are generated from.

$0.02.

We should move in a direction where all server side push hooks removed.

Removing the hooks allows for easy repo replication, and sharing load.

Such checks should all be moved IMO into pre-commit CI, or post-commit CI.

>>> Alternatively, Maxim, you seem to have an infrastructure that is
>>> capable of sending email.  Would you consider adding the check to
>>> your buildbot instance and report issues automatically?  The
>>> level of totally
>>
>> After the discussions we had during Cauldron, I actually thought
>> we should add such a bot.
>>
>> Initially I was thinking about adding this as a "precommit" check,
>> to make sure the autogenerated files were submitted correctly, but
>> I realized that the policy is actually not to send autogenerated
>> files as part of the patch (thus making pre-commit check
>> impracticable in such cases, unless we autogenerate those files
>> after applying the patch)
>>
>> I understand you mean to run this as a post-commit bot, meaning we
>> would continue to "accept" broken commits, but now automatically
>> send a notification, asking for a prompt fix?
>>
>> We can probably implement that, indeed. Is that the general
>> agreement?
>
> [CC: Siddhesh, Carlos]
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> I agree with Christophe, and we can add various source-level checks
> and wrap them up as a post-commit job.  The job will then send out
> email reports to developers whose patches failed it.

This is a great way to handle this until we have more consensus around other
kinds of worfklows.

> Where the current script is located?  These checks would be useful
> for all GNU Toolchain projects -- binutils/GDB, GCC, Glibc and,
> maybe, Newlib -- so it would be useful to put it in a separate
> "gnutools" repo.  I think Siddhesh and Carlos are looking into
> creating such a repo on gitlab?

I can make any repo we want here:

https://gitlab.com/gnutools

--