Hi - On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:04:21PM -0700, Doug Evans wrote: > > I guess I don't see the abstraction and simplicity this > > indirection is to provide. Do you have an example? > > - I'd rather have one version of "add" for sparc 32/64 I would rather use macros that expand to SI or DI as appropriate for the two different targets, or perhaps use DI only (and rely on implicit truncation for 32-bit hardware registers). > - I'd rather write 'IAI in the .scm sources when refering to 'pc > than doing something else Likewise -- the PC register is likewise an inherently target-sized quantity. This whole argument sounds like going backward from the SI-vs-USI issue from a few weeks ago. It encodes in the type some notion of purpose, or even a deliberate lack of specificity, instead of leaving these solely in the operators. > > In what circumstances do you consider it reasonable for cgen > > model files to deal with host data types/sizes? > > [...] > Sometimes the code will need a mode but imposing a specific > width muddies the waters. If one wanted to write some rtl > that looped over something, picking one of QI/HI/SI/DI > may be less appealing than "just give me a big enough int". [...] Not to me... Given the low level nature of modelling semantics in rtl, I don't consider it natural to pick "a big enough" int. - FChE