public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
From: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
To: Ralph Escherich <esche@mobilesmartsinc.com>
Cc: cgen@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: binutils porting to new CPU
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi -

> [...]
> My research on the web shows, that for a complete port of the binutils
> to a new cpu the follwing parts have to be modified/created:
> [...]
>   include/opcodes/FOO.h         - Port specific ISA encoding
>   opcodes/FOO-dis.c             - Port specific disassembler routines
>   opcodes/FOO-opc.c             - Port specific ISA encoding

These are the only files generated by cgen for binutils, but you'll
notice that these are the primary ones that contain the most complex
aspects for supporting target processor.

The others need to be built by hand.  Of these, only the
bfd/{*}-FOO.c file has given me particular headaches, having to
represent object file relocations in a clunky way.  (This part
motivated Red Hat to build a reusable generic relocation engine
for a particularly peculiar & reconfigurable target.  This code
has not been made public though AFAIK.)

- FChE