public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
From: Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com>
To: Joern Rennecke <joernr@arc.com>
Cc: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>, cgen@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: copyright issues for cgen-generated tools
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Joern Rennecke wrote:

>That might be descriptive of m32r.cpu, but when you look at sh64-compact.cpu,
>the difference between the cpu/ and the cgen/cpu/ versions is larger than
>the cpu/ version.  Also, the cgen/cpu/ version has only Red Hat copyright
>notices, for 2000 and 2006; the cpu/ version has only a 2000 copyright
>notice.
>The old/new code ratio is even worse for sh.cpu
>
>There are also significantly more files in cgen/cpu than in cpu/ ;
>the difference are new additions, leading strength to the impression
>that cgen/cpu/ is the master copy.

We recently completed work to implement the entire sh architecture in
SID starting with the existing sh64 implementation which already existed
in cpu/ and cgen/cpu and which were nearly identical at the time. No one
could tell me which one was the master and it appeared that some work
was in cgen/cpu/ but not in cpu/, so I arbitrarily chose to work in
cgen/cpu/.

It doesn't matter to us (Red Hat) where the copyright lies for this
port, so feel free to bring cpu/ up to date and make it the master if
you please.

Dave