public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* updating ChangeLog policy to match binutils/gdb?
@ 2021-06-29  1:39 Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2021-06-29  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

the binutils & gdb projects are changing their ChangeLog policy: they won't
be required anywhere, but people need to write detailed commit messages.
can we update cgen to follow suit ?

gdb: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-June/179872.html
binutils: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2021-June/117016.html
-mike

* Re: updating ChangeLog policy to match binutils/gdb?
@ 2021-06-29 16:17 ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2021-06-29 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

> the binutils & gdb projects are changing their ChangeLog policy: they won't
> be required anywhere, but people need to write detailed commit messages.
> can we update cgen to follow suit ?
>
> gdb: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-June/179872.html
> binutils: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2021-June/117016.html

I wouldn't object to such a change.

(I will continue including ChangeLog entries in commit messages
 anyway... after so many years I would feel "naked" without them ;))

* Re: updating ChangeLog policy to match binutils/gdb?
@ 2021-09-14 19:36   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2021-09-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: cgen

On 29 Jun 2021 18:17, Jose E. Marchesi via Cgen wrote:
> > the binutils & gdb projects are changing their ChangeLog policy: they won't
> > be required anywhere, but people need to write detailed commit messages.
> > can we update cgen to follow suit ?
> >
> > gdb: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-June/179872.html
> > binutils: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2021-June/117016.html
>
> I wouldn't object to such a change.
>
> (I will continue including ChangeLog entries in commit messages
>  anyway... after so many years I would feel "naked" without them ;))

just want to double check before i start doing this ... it's OK if i omit
ChangeLog entries now ?
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: updating ChangeLog policy to match binutils/gdb?
@ 2021-09-14 21:10     ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2021-09-14 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: cgen

> On 29 Jun 2021 18:17, Jose E. Marchesi via Cgen wrote:
>> > the binutils & gdb projects are changing their ChangeLog policy: they won't
>> > be required anywhere, but people need to write detailed commit messages.
>> > can we update cgen to follow suit ?
>> >
>> > gdb: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-June/179872.html
>> > binutils: https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2021-June/117016.html
>>
>> I wouldn't object to such a change.
>>
>> (I will continue including ChangeLog entries in commit messages
>>  anyway... after so many years I would feel "naked" without them ;))
>
> just want to double check before i start doing this ... it's OK if i omit
> ChangeLog entries now ?

If Frank doesn't object, I think it makes sense to follow what binutils
and GDB do, i.e. no ChangeLog entries required.