public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
From: jemarch@gnu.org (Jose E. Marchesi)
To: Andrew Burgess <andrew.burgess@embecosm.com>
Cc: cgen@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Converting CGEN from CVS to git
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 09:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    I would like to discuss the idea of converting CGEN from CVS to git.

    Motivation
    ==========

    I have been working with CGEN off and on for the last 8 years, and
    though I haven't posted any fixes upstream in that time, I do have a
    set of fixes locally that I would like to try an upstream over the
    next year.

    Obviously, moving from CVS to git isn't a requirement for working on
    this project, but hopefully we can all agree that moving out of CVS
    makes development easier, and git seems like the obvious choice.

Yay!  That would be great, moving the project to git.

I am also using CGEN, for a new target, and have also hacks I will want
to upstream at some point.

    The observation that in order to regenerate the CGEN components, the
    only part of the cgen CVS module that needed to be copied into the
    binutils-gdb was the cgen/ subdirectory was the reasoning behind one
    big choice I made, that is:

        Only the cgen subdirectory of the current cgen CVS module would be
        included in the new git repository.  Everything else is unneeded
        clutter, and should be discarded.

Makes full sense.

    I don't have permissions to create a git repository on sourceware, or
    change the admin settings on CVS, nor am I sure who to approach.  When
    we get that far any advice would be great.

The overseers@sourceware.org may be able to help?

    Finally, is there anything else I can or should do to help make this happen?

Thanks for working on this.