public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* "stable" gdb and binutils
@ 2000-11-28  0:44 Johan Rydberg
From: Johan Rydberg @ 2000-11-28  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Hi!

I will port gdb and binutils to a new CPU and are thinking about using
CGEN for this.  It seems that CGEN isn't included in the last stable
release of gdb (version 5.0 that is).  Could you maybe suggest a
"stable" snapshot of gdb that I should use ?

--
Johan Rydberg, Net Insight AB, Sweden, +46-8-685 04 00

$ ON F$ERROR("LANGUAGE","ENGLISH","IN_MESSAGE").GT.F$ERROR("NORMAL") -
             THEN EXCUSE/OBJECT=ME

* Re: "stable" gdb and binutils
@ 2000-11-28  3:29 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-11-28  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Rydberg; +Cc: cgen

   I will port gdb and binutils to a new CPU and are thinking about using
   CGEN for this.  It seems that CGEN isn't included in the last stable
   release of gdb (version 5.0 that is).  Could you maybe suggest a
   "stable" snapshot of gdb that I should use ?

CGEN is not packaged as part of any GNU package (although there are some
configuiry/Makefile targets to help with a port).  You should merely use the
latest GDB version for your port.  The per-target interfaces in GDB should
insulate you from any on-going changes since 5.0.

Cheers, Ben

* Re: "stable" gdb and binutils
@ 2000-11-28  4:51 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2000-11-28  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Rydberg; +Cc: cgen

Hi -

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 09:45:30AM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
: I will port gdb and binutils to a new CPU and are thinking about using
: CGEN for this.  [...]

CGEN doesn't relate to gdb per se.  Perhaps you meant the closest
thing is the old sim/ sources which are logically a sibling to gdb/.
gdb version drift does not seem to affect either binutils or sim work
much, so any reasonably recent version should be fine.

- FChE
--

* Re: "stable" gdb and binutils
@ 2000-11-28 13:28   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-11-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Johan Rydberg, cgen

   CGEN doesn't relate to gdb per se.  Perhaps you meant the closest
   thing is the old sim/ sources which are logically a sibling to gdb/.
   gdb version drift does not seem to affect either binutils or sim work
   much, so any reasonably recent version should be fine.

Of course, GDB can use a CGEN-generated libopcodes for disassembling.

Ben