* Re: Installing info files
@ 2000-08-31  8:22 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2000-08-31  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc, russell

"Russ.Shaw" <russell@webaxs.net> wrote:

> I did "make info" and "make install-info" in a newlib build directory,
> and it installed various files such as configure.info etc into
> /usr/local/info.

Well, it's a toolchain maintainer's responsibility that it gets correctly to
this point, so I'm good. :-)

> However, i can't get them to display in the info reader.
> Also, i can't find anything such as an INFOPATH environment variable.

Sorry, not my department. I don't use info, or in fact any GNU software other
than the Cygnus toolchain.

> Is there another step to make these files known to the info reader?

I'm not sure. I don't recall having any info-related targets in the Cygnus tree
makefiles other than info and install-info.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)

------

* Installing info files
@ 2000-09-01  9:26   ` Theo Honohan
From: Theo Honohan @ 2000-09-01  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Russ.Shaw wrote ("Installing info files"):
> I did "make info" and "make install-info" in a newlib build directory,
> and it installed various files such as configure.info etc into
> /usr/local/info. However, i can't get them to display in the info reader.
> Also, i can't find anything such as an INFOPATH environment variable.
>
> Is there another step to make these files known to the info reader?

There is an INFOPATH variable, but it's probably not the only thing
you need to alter.  The info reader uses a listing stored in the "dir"
file of each info directory to find the files themselves.  There is no
reliable way of managing these dir files, although some systems
provide a program (e.g. Debian Linux's "install-info", don't know
about others) for updating them when a new file is installed.

The section "Creating and Installing Info Files" in texinfo.info is
helpful.  If you haven't even got texinfo.info, a Google search for
that section heading will turn up the document on the web.

------

* Installing info files
@ 2000-08-30 22:56 ` Russ.Shaw
From: Russ.Shaw @ 2000-08-30 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)