* Cross compile for SGI IRIX target?
@ 2000-06-29  4:21 Avinash Chopde
From: Avinash Chopde @ 2000-06-29  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

My preliminary research shows that it is not possible
to cross compile for a SGI IRIX (6.x) target, so am looking
for any info that I'm wrong!

Looks like gcc on SGI requires some libraries (free) from SGI
for the final link step (?), which I presume precludes any
cross compiling for IRIX?

Any help appreciated, even if it is to confirm what I've said
above, thanks!

--
Avinash Chopde
e-mail: avinash@acm.org

------

* Re: Cross compile for SGI IRIX target?
@ 2000-06-29  7:59 ` Matthew Majka
From: Matthew Majka @ 2000-06-29  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avinash Chopde, crossgcc

> My preliminary research shows that it is not possible
> to cross compile for a SGI IRIX (6.x) target, so am looking
> for any info that I'm wrong!
>
> Looks like gcc on SGI requires some libraries (free) from SGI
> for the final link step (?), which I presume precludes any
> cross compiling for IRIX?

I don't think the GNU assembler or linker support IRIX 6, so
that would be the limiting factor at this point.  The assembler
does support IRIX 5.3, IIRC, but the linker does not support
any versions of IRIX that I know of.

------

* Re: Cross compile for SGI IRIX target?
@ 2000-06-29 15:47   ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2000-06-29 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Majka; +Cc: Avinash Chopde, crossgcc

Matthew Majka wrote:

> [...]

 Aren't the SGI libs available at all ?  When currently Sun and
SCO deliver their 'Free Unix'es with the system libs, getting
something similar from SGI would be expected... Anyway the 'Irix'
is just one of those SVR4/MIPS variations like SNI 'Sinix, the
Pyramid, Tandem, DDE etc. ones with 'proprietary' names...

 The SVR4/MIPS docs used to be available with other SVR4 docs via :
     www.sco.com/developer/devspecs

 Some MIPS ABI docs, like :

	MIPS Processor
	ABI Conformance Guide
	Version 3.0 DRAFT 4
	MIPS ABI Group, Inc.
	http://www.mipsabi.org/

may now be missing when the www.mipsabi.org died... Does SGI have
them still ?  I managed to download them while they still were
available.

> I don't think the GNU assembler or linker support IRIX 6, so
> that would be the limiting factor at this point.  The assembler
> does support IRIX 5.3, IIRC, but the linker does not support
> any versions of IRIX that I know of.

 Perhaps the situation has been changed... A guy from DDE in
India worked with the 'traditional-elf32bsmip' and got the GNU
ld to work with producing normal, shared-libs-using executables
and statically linked executables. To produce shared libs too...
He also made new startup/exits, 'crt1.S', 'crti.S' and 'crtn.S'...

 I think that it could be possible to build newlib for a generic
32-bit 'mips-sysv4', as a static library. I built it for a
generic 'x86-sysv4' a year or more ago, but the 'mips-sysv4' was
left untested (no machine available for testing...).

Cheers, Kai

------

* Re: Cross compile for SGI IRIX target?
@ 2000-06-30  6:33     ` Matthew Majka
From: Matthew Majka @ 2000-06-30  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu; +Cc: Avinash Chopde, crossgcc

> > > My preliminary research shows that it is not possible
> > > to cross compile for a SGI IRIX (6.x) target, so am looking
> > > for any info that I'm wrong!
> > >
> > > Looks like gcc on SGI requires some libraries (free) from SGI
> > > for the final link step (?), which I presume precludes any
> > > cross compiling for IRIX?
>
>  Aren't the SGI libs available at all ?  When currently Sun and
> SCO deliver their 'Free Unix'es with the system libs, getting
> something similar from SGI would be expected... Anyway the 'Irix'
> is just one of those SVR4/MIPS variations like SNI 'Sinix, the
> Pyramid, Tandem, DDE etc. ones with 'proprietary' names...

You get the IRIX libs with the OS on the Development Libraries
CD.  I didn't know Sun had a "Free Unix".

SGI unloaded MIPS.  Start with http://www.mips.com

> > I don't think the GNU assembler or linker support IRIX 6, so
> > that would be the limiting factor at this point.  The assembler
> > does support IRIX 5.3, IIRC, but the linker does not support
> > any versions of IRIX that I know of.
>
>  Perhaps the situation has been changed... A guy from DDE in
> India worked with the 'traditional-elf32bsmip' and got the GNU
> ld to work with producing normal, shared-libs-using executables
> and statically linked executables. To produce shared libs too...
> He also made new startup/exits, 'crt1.S', 'crti.S' and 'crtn.S'...

For IRIX or another MIPS based Unix clone?